Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I make my 4.2L sound like a 5.0 mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Default Can I make my 4.2L sound like a 5.0 mustang?

2000 Audi A6 4.2L

I'm getting bored with my Audi. It is too quiet and I feel like a rich snob driving this thing for a year now.

Can I make this car sound cool like a V8 Mustang or more throaty exhaust?

Anybody has flow masters on their's? So when I start it, and rev it up, it sounds mean and powerful like a 5.0 Mustang GT.

Just curious to go that route

Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 AM
3rd Gear

Get a nail and a hammer and punch holes in the muffler.

Why would you want to do this? If you're bored, detail the snot out of it....claybar, wax, etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Get a nail and a hammer and punch holes in the muffler.

Why would you want to do this? If you're bored, detail the snot out of it....claybar, wax, etc.
Maybe his car is already Clean your advise is Worthless.........
Get a cat back exhaust system and remove the cats and put a straight pipe or some high flow cats or get the inside of your stock cats gutted ......

Old 09-30-2009, 03:55 PM
4th Gear

And if he's anywhere they do inspections for that, pay the fine and go to jail.. you too since you told him to do it.

I'd look into some Flowmasters or maybe Borla.. replace the cats with high flow ones and electric cutouts

Old 09-30-2009, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

well then they should pull over Every Evo owner most of us run test pipes on our turboback exhaust.... I did say he could buy high-flow cats as an alternative

Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 PM
4th Gear

I did say he could buy high-flow cats as an alternative
True...

Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Site Moderator

I've seen/heard a lot of done up exhausts on the A6 4.2L engine and there is no way to make it sound like a mustang. However you could actually make it sound better than a mustang because your engine isn't a piece of crap. If you want the loud approach, take out both the rear mufflers and center resonators and put in a couple of glass packs/resonators and just run those. I have heard a few of them done like that and they sound mean, but be warned, its FVCKING LOUD! Glass packs tend to give the normal sound of the engine just toned down a little, so if you like the sound of the glass pack but aren't thrilled about the excess noise, you can weld in another set of packs giving you a total of four in the system. Flowmasters sound down right weird on our cars. The only way i can explain it is to have your mufflers lopped off at the shop and have them set a couple of flowmasters on there (not welded) and hear what it sounds like real quick. To me it sounds like a Silverado banged a 350Z, its not a terrible noise, just not something you would hear everyday. Magnaflows make the engine sound like a humming bird (i hate those mufflers if you didn't know) and Borlas are decent sounding. Remus makes a good sounding exhaust, but the tips are butt ugly. There are a million combinations. If you can find a good exhaust shop that has a wide selection of muffler manufactures, then do what i told you. Have them cut off the old exhaust, and have them one by one, slip on a different muffler and see if you like the sound it makes reving it up. A good shop will do this for you.

Last edited by auditech79; 09-30-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
4th Gear

If you want the loud approach, take out both the rear mufflers and center resonators and put in a couple of glass packs/resonators and just run those. I have heard a few of them done like that and they sound mean, but be warned, its FVCKING LOUD!
My truck has dual exhaust with 16" glass packs... Best sounding alarm clock around

Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear

Why do all mustangs have that signature sound?

I had a 3500 with a 7.8 and the Big blocks come with a larger diameter pipe. With the stock exhaust it sounded alot more hollow than a small block. It could have been the Bigger everything I suppose. It had that hollow sound you hear in a Mustang but a deeper tone. Big trucks get deeper with 10" stacks too. So how about some 4" pipes straight back with the glass packs. You Live in beautiful "we don't need no emmissions laws round here" Florida don't you.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 PM
4th Gear

They spend lots of money on r&d to maintain that sound engine from engine. Lotta exhaust tuning..

Quick Reply: Can I make my 4.2L sound like a 5.0 mustang?