Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS & ESP system/lights going on off during drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:22 PM
1st Gear
Default ABS & ESP system/lights going on off during drive

Hi all,

I've had my 2001 Audi A6 2.7T for a while now, I got it as my first car about four years ago and have really loved it. It's approaching 140,000 miles now and has worked pretty well (knock on wood).

Just recently, though, my ABS breaks have been acting up. For some reason when I start driving my car, my ABS and ESP lights turn on. When this happens, my car slightly jumps as if I switched gears too late or too early. This happens a few times until it eventually starts running smoothly.

Clearly not everything is right and am wondering what could be up. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, but I may slightly smell a bit of burning from the brake pads.

I'm absolutely clueless as to what's going on and I would really appreciate a reply.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear

I had issue similar to yours until I changed out my ignition modules on top of the air box. At your mileage, it needs to be done anyway so you might give that a try.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

My Guess is you are NOT imagining things .. your ESP is grabbing your brakes while at speed. it thinks there is something wrong so is trying to stabalize your car. The ABS modules in these cars are a known weak spot so i would look at that for sure . they aften have to be rebuilt. do a search on this . The other possibiliity is a flakey ABS sensor . i would check each one to ensure it is firmly in place . get the car scanned . it may tell if it is a sensor which one it is .. now you have a starting point.
BTW my car locked up the right front solid on the highway once .. burned up the rotor, pads, cv boot melted, melted the caliper seal and all the paint melted off the splash shield for the rotor ... I would attend to this fairly quickly.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

Appreciate the replies thus far. I'm going to head to a mechanic tomorrow to see what they can tell me.

Anyone have any other ideas though?