Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Turn Signal Relay

Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 PM
1st Gear
Default You can also try to clean the switch contacts

I have a 2001 A4 1.8T that had the same issue (exactly 5 years to the day that the relay was replaced for the first time). I didn't want to pay to have another relay installed and found a YouTube video that reported success with cleaning the switch contacts instead of installing a new relay.

Here's a link to that video that shows how to disassemble the relay housing:

My relay didn't match the one from the video exactly, as mine just had two small soldered contacts to the left of the hazard push button switch. Those contacts had a small amount of built up "gunk" on them that I gently scraped off with a small screw driver.

I put the relay back together, reinstalled it, and so far so good. It's worth a shot before you order a new unit.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:44 PM
1st Gear
Question Where to pull on an A6 flasher unit?

Originally Posted by sixstick
Getting the flasher unit out was a bit tricky as well. Take a screw driver, put it behind the lip of the flasher and pull the unit out towards you.
On an A6 from 2002 I followed sixsitck´s advice and got the trim panel off nicely (Thanks!)

However the flasher unit itself is stuck. I´ve excerted as much brute force as I dare (and then some) trying to pry it out. Obviously I´m not doing it correctly...

Here´s what it looks like:

Where exactly did you pull on the unit, please? Are there any release tabs to push, or something?

(perhaps you can copy the image and draw an arrow onto it)

BR,

David

Last edited by DavidSweden; 08-16-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Changed to a smaller image to make it display in the thread.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 AM
1st Gear
Smile SOLVED: How to remove flasher / hazard relay unit from 2002 A6

Ok, following kind advice from the Audi parts department at Malmö, Sweden I gripped the relay unit at the places indicated in the picture below

with two pairs of wide pliers and pulled steadily until the unit released from the panel.

It did take considerable force to grip the unit and to pull it from the panel, quite a bit outside my comfort zone for car interior plastic parts, but all was fine.

Once out of the panel the connector releases by pushing with one´s fingers across two release tabs at the connector, while simultaneously pulling on the connector. (and of course not pulling at all on the electrical wires)

Once the connector is released the next thing to take care of is not letting the connector slip back into the panel. This is easily achieved by inserting for example a pen between the wires and letting the connector rest with the pen between the connector and the panel.

David

Old 10-31-2013, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

Yes this worked, but instead of using a screwdriver we used a fiber stick, all clips stayed on and had fixed in 5 minutes.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 A6 Audi Heat and Fan Buttons to be replaced

There are 6 touch pads I would like to replace. The touch pads are for my temperature up and down and fan up and down. Does anyone know if this is a easy fix ? Called local Audi and they were NO help. Hoping just touch pads but appears to be more. Tried easily to remove and no luck. Thanks, my pads are showing white thru that were originally all black.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I found when replacing my hazard switch that there was too much pressure on the sides of the relay. There is one metal clip on both sides of the relay, I simply removed one of the clips from one side and pushed it back in and it has worked ever since.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Same here

[QUOTE=drliming;1286862]Question. Do you recall if the emergency flashers worked but the turn signals did not? I currently have no turn signal flashers....the arrow in the dash lights up when the switch is on but no flash/click, click, click.....but the emergency flashers work fine. Noticed in the book the turn signals use a different fuse (Location #2) than the emergency flashers (#39). I find this confusing. Any help/clarification is greatly appreciated.

*****I pulled the Hazard Switch out, dis-assembled, no contacts to clean/file as I read about elsewhere, but tapped on the sealed relay box a few times. Re-installed and have turn signal flashers....at least for today.********[/QUOTE ..... I did the same thing in my 2003 allroad and mine started working again too.. just tapped on it a little bit and messed with the cup holder next to the hazard switch hazards were working but the blinkers didn't, and now they both work just fine.