Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reverse won"t catch

Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
1st Gear
Default reverse won"t catch

hey guys,

Any one know of what the problem might be on a 2000 audi a6 4.2 if the reverse won't catch? my local guy says it is not the transmission fluid but might be the converter. any one had similar issues?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: reverse won"t catch

Transmission gone. You need to get it fixed.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Yep unfortunately you need a rebuild. An internal piston failed. Common for 2000 model year. Audi improved the design.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

Does it go into reverse if you goose it just a bit, like with a little "bang"?

If it does, not a rebuild needed, just a little trash in the fluid, enough to stick the reverse valve in the valve body, so change MIGHT help, maybe more than 1.

Personally, I don't think pressure flush is worth the money, don't even know what they would charge to do an Audi/VW pressure flush.

Aside, I was driving a '90 till today, now driving a '97 A6, don't even know if the tranny cooler is the same, a little box on the tranny, and don't know if pressure flushers know they can't go under the hood and disconnect 2 lines from the rad to do this to an Audi. Tire store I go to wheels the flusher outside to flush. My car they would have had to put on the rack to take off the cooler and connect.

I have lots to learn about this new, to me, car. Need an owner's manual. Don't even know how to set the clock.

BUT, I like it!!! Quattro means I can visit my g'kids in the winter. Front wheel drive, bad snow, couldn't make it up their 700 foot driveway with the '90 100.

Cheers,

George

Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

i hear ya gmatov. i love the quattro too. this car has been amazing till now. The reverse doesn't do the "bang" thing you described, i just rev, but i don't gun it, and i get no movement, nothing. i just took it too a transmission guy and told him about what was suggested to me i.e what people on the forum have been saying about flushing the fluid first. This guy told me it sounds like the problem is probably w the piston inside and in that case recommended a rebuild. i really don't want to have to spend $2500- $3000 on this right now but, what are you going do right?

Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

I didn't really rev it either. About 730 on the tach at idle, didn't go into reverse, goose to mebbe a thou, and would dump into reverse.

I don't know if you are mechanically inclined or not, and I don't know what the tranny is like in this car, but, I had to yank the valve body on one of my Audis, an 85 that I replaced a tranny in because of a bad transaxle (tranny was good, pinion gear went out in the differential, had to buy both from the bone yard, tranny and converter were full of trash, got PO'd when the tranny went out the next day, paid a guy to replace the tranny with my old one, and the trash kept siezing the spool valves in the valve body.)

Had to drop the pan, drop the valve body, disassemble, clean, reinstall, run good for a month, do it again.

It is not a difficult operation. I did, however, go through probably 50 gallons of tranny fluid.

The tranny in ours is probably way different than the one I am talking about, Quattro and all, but think the valve body would be about the same.

Cheers,

George