Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor advise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default Rotor advise?

I am grinding through a rear rotor (due, I believe, to a sticking parking brake) and will have to replace it when I return from my road trip. Since it has been 75k since I did pads and my front brake sensor has come on a couple times, it's probably time to do all four. Brakeworld gives me three options: an oem replacement ($208/set), Disc Italia drilled/slotted ($505/set), and Xbrakes drilled/slotted ($275/set). The Xbrakes is an attractive price, but I have this sneaking suspicion they are Chinese and low quality. Does anybody have direct experience with Disc Italia or Xbrakes? I am pretty sure I will go with the Disc Italia Titanium Kevlar pads which I use on my Crossfires, and they work very well. Feedback or alternative rotor brands solicited.

Last edited by ppgoal; 11-25-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear

Looks like your going after exotic brands and models.

Look at this-might be worthy:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Often combining pads and rotors from different manufactures does not work well - brakes developed the condition known as "warped rotors" (an urban myth). Better go with proven sets or after warranty by the installer.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear

OEM replacement for $208? just go to a local parts shop and order Raybestos or Centric premium rotors. They will cost you about $30 to $50 each. Raybestos and Centric also makes slotted stuff if you are going for a look and willing to throw down another $30 to $40.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

One more thing... Make sure to get your offset correct. Check out the ECStuning for information.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks, guys, that is the info I needed. The Rockauto site had decent pricing for the Centric -- I am interested in drilled/slotted for looks (I admit it) -- and I am willing to pay a couple hundred premium. The challenge with the 2.7T is that there are different size front rotors -- I think mine is the larger 320mm with the four-pad calipers. The good news is that I take it into my indie shop and tell him what I want and he will order and ensure fitment.

I am now leaning towards the Centric Sportstop drilled and slotted with ceramic pads. How about rust on the rotors? Anybody have experience OR thoughts on ceramic vs premium metallic for stopping, wear, and noise?? Or would I be better off with cryogenically treated slotted rotors? I have read elsewhere that these are less likely to crack but I don't know about other benefits.

I'm looking for real world experience vs opinion (which is less valuable, but appreciated). I also may make a few phone calls to the websites to ask where the rotors are manufactured. I have had Centric rear rotors on my A6 for the past 3 years and have personally had no issues. I'm leaning away from the Xbrakes because low price and medium-high quality never seem to go together.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:45 AM
3rd Gear

If you ask 10 people about their favorite brake setup, you will get 12 different answers.

Anyways, I prefer metallic pad to ceramic since they seem to resist fade better. My favorite is Hawk HPS street performance pads. They are very linear. Although the initial pedal feel is very soft, they just grab and grab as you step in. Yes, semi metallic pads generate some dust, but I think my HPS pads generate less dust than the OEM.

BTW, never get a set of race pads for street cars.

As for the rotors, I currently have Zimmermans up front, and centric in the rear. I also had good experiences with Brembo blanks. BTW, the centics, which were the cheapest of the bunch was the only rotors which came with factory paint on non-contact parts. I had to mask and paint on both Zimmermans and Brembos. I know, you wonder why bother, but I am a bit meticulous aka **** when it comes to stuff like that.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

I would check out your caliper in addition to the parking brake issue. If you don't get the original problem corrected, then you will be chewing through a new rotor. Since it's a rear rotor, I would tend to go for the Raybestos or Centrics as they won't be doing as much work as your fronts.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:00 PM
3rd Gear

Baby is at the shop right now. The caliper and parking brake cable/etc will be checked. After discussion with my mechanic, he advised against drilled/slotted as they make a noise. He knows I like a quiet car. He recommended Centric new premium solid rotors. Also Centric ceramic pads, which I will compare to the Disc Italia Titanium Kevlar that I am partial to. So we are on the way to getting this straightened out, probably by the end of the week. All it takes is money...and good advice from all of you. Thanks.