AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Should I buy or not buy? 2000 A6 2.7t (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/should-i-buy-not-buy-2000-a6-2-7t-19692/)

prettyboy 11-14-2005 12:26 AM

Should I buy or not buy? 2000 A6 2.7t

Hi everybody. New to the forums here and hopefully will be sticking around for a while. But that depends on if I buy a 2000 A6 2.7t quattro that I have been drooling over.
I hear mixed things about Audis. Some people find them reliable and love them and others swear never to get into another again. Everyone that I know drive A4s though(1.8t)
no one with an A6. The car that I am looking at is fully loaded with every single option available except navigation. It has 110000kms (68000 miles) all maintenance records and it is also tiptronic. My wife and I were originally looking at VW Passats but all the 4motions were all out of our price range but then found this A6 for $17900 cdn. The car is not being sold at an Audi dealership so it has no warranty left through them, but the car lot includes 3 year warranties on all their cars honoured by their in house shop. The salesperson told me it covers everything (engine, turbos tranny etc.) except obviously wear and tear items. My wife and I are expecting a baby soon and find this car to be just right for us. We get the safety, room and performance all in what has to be one of the best looking cars on the road. My biggest concern would be the running costs. This car is a huge step up from a VW beetle(haha!)
But I just dont want to dip my money into a never ending cycle of repairs. What can I expect for maintenance? How often are oil changes to be done? Should synthetic oil be used?
Will probably be taking it for a spin on Tuesday so I will update on my findings.

Sorry about the long post, but before making a decision I have to ask the experts and from reading through the forums the past few days it seems like the experts are here.
Thanks Everyone!

cary12 11-14-2005 12:44 AM

RE: Should I buy or not buy? 2000 A6 2.7t

I own a 2001 A6, 4.2 and I am in love with it. I have never had any problems and I love it more and more every day! Once you test drive it, you will not want to get out of it! When it comes to maintenance, they are expensive because every luxury vehicle is expensive to maintain. If you can afford to buy one, you should afford to maintain it but it's well worth it. I use synthetic oil in mine just because I have used it in all of my vehicles. They are extremely comfortable to drive and the performance blows away the competition. If you have been looking at VW's and now your looking at Audi's, why look back? :D All I can say is go for it and you will love it!!

CrazyBignate 11-14-2005 01:09 AM

get it, u'll love it, my dad's 2.7T is one of the rare 6 speed manual ones and it's well worth the money, he's had no problems with it at all. A definate must buy. Here's a pic of my dad's

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5733/a6sig15mq.jpg

a6157 11-29-2005 02:05 PM

You will love it im only 17 and my first car is the 2000 audi a6 2.7 twin turbo and i love it havent had any problems or anything its luxury and at the same time has that fast speed feel to it.

abkyl 12-01-2005 01:42 AM

yo get the a6!! i have a 2000 2.7T in 6spd... its nice bro...

flyinb501 12-02-2005 06:07 PM

Buy it, and then chip it, and you'll really be havin a good time.

shocker2 12-16-2005 11:48 PM

im in the same boat with an 01 A6 2.7 50k 2year audi warranty for 20000 out the door if i can negotiate well enough...

-good price or not?
-are they an interferrance or non interferrance motor?
-how long do the motors usually last if maintained correctly?
-does anyone know if leased vehicles are required to have maintance done on them or can you trash them and get away with it?
-how bad are the electronics...can a general mechanic handle repairs or is this a dealer only car
-i can generally handle my own with mechanics...ive swapped motors and done a RHD conversion on my mr2 i just want to make sure that they haven't made the car to where a "house" mechanic can work on it...
-can you buy diagnostic tools to scan or can you manually scan the computer system when errors occur

SORRY for the many questions but figured id tag along on this post instead of cluttering the board...

Thanks in advance!

heisse_mkII 12-17-2005 02:53 AM

Make sure you have a third party mechanic that you trust look at it. Also, if you decide to buy the car, please please, read over the extended warranty and see what all is actually covered. You don't want to pay a couple thousand for it and it not cover jack-diddly. Other than that, I would buy one. One of the best choices I made.