Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I pimp out my 97 audi a6 or save for newer a6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:50 PM
1st Gear
Question should I pimp out my 97 audi a6 or save for newer a6?

I purchased a pearl white 1997 Audi A6 quattro a few months ago with 135,000 miles. I haven't had any problems with the car yet which is wonderful.

Anyway, Should I "pimp" out my 97 A6 or save my money and try to get a newer a6? I like the newer audi's more but I figured I can make my car look pretty damn nice by investing around 2 grand. (I purchased the car for only 2700 lol).

My idea of pimping it out consists of :

Painting my car black
Getting some black rims (I want my car black on black).
Getting some of these blacked out headlights (they are like 460.00).
Upgrading my tail lights and hopfully finding black ones.
And a after-market mesh/sport grill (the one's without the audi symbal).

pretty basic, but it would look pretty sick I think, but not sure if its a dumb thing to do because im new with audi's AND I'm hesitant on putting that kinda money into my car even though I want too.

whats your advice/opinion/what do you think?

thanks guys

Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

Save ur $$ enjoy it, buy a newer one later on! That's what I would do but not everybody thinks d same!!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by magiben2k5
Save ur $$ enjoy it, buy a newer one later on! That's what I would do but not everybody thinks d same!!
are you saying save my money for a newer car, or save my money and fix up my current one?

U said save money and enjoy it...I mean yeah I like my car, but i'd enjoy it much much more if I put some money into it...

Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Save ur $$ n get a newer one later. But depending on how long u planning on keeping it? then I guess u could invest $$ in it! Mine is a 2000 model n I tought bout upgrading headlights, tail lights n wheels but I'm only planing on keeping d car for another year so why bother spending my $$ now! So like I said it depends on how long u keeping it?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not in favor of painting a white car black. To do it right will cost more than you can afford. Doing it wrong will look like $hit. The rest of the mods are reasonable if you really want them. Keep in mind that blacked out headlights are not going to help you much driving at night. I also suggest you save money for potential repairs and needed maintenance. It sounds like you have a nice vehicle, but with that mileage and age things are going to start wearing out and failing. I'd focus first on making sure all necessary maintenance is done to avoid problems: timing belt (it will need doing around 160k if it was done ~80k), replace differential fluid, replace brake fluid (every 2 years), plugs (every 60k), etc. There are plenty of "necessary" things to spend money on with an Audi before nice-to-have stuff, to keep it running trouble-free.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear

ppgoal is the voice of reason, as usual.
A pocket style manual by D. Hacker would not hurt to have, either.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

I would keep the car get alloy rims and other things but I would not paint the car

Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear

leave the color the same, maybe get a re-spray. then bag it on a set of 19's with a 9"+ width(hre, bbs, volk,etc) and some adjustable front and rear control arms from stern or 034. to top it all off get a nice exhaust and some headers for sound appeal and some hid headlights to finish off the look.

none of that blacked out $hit though. waaaaaay played out and crazy tacky. makes the car look low budget and cheap.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FonzoB5S4
leave the color the same, maybe get a re-spray. then bag it on a set of 19's with a 9"+ width(hre, bbs, volk,etc) and some adjustable front and rear control arms from stern or 034. to top it all off get a nice exhaust and some headers for sound appeal and some hid headlights to finish off the look.

none of that blacked out $hit though. waaaaaay played out and crazy tacky. makes the car look low budget and cheap.
You think the "blacked out/black on black" look is way played out and tacky?? I think the chromed out look is played out and tacky lol.

I don't see how you can think the blacked out look looks tacky lol, i mean hell check out this pic... Of course we all have different opinions, some people will like the the black look and some won't.

Also, I've already got me some HIDs, they're the 6000k white one's (the brightest hid before it turns into a light blue shade then dark blue)

Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2011, 04:13 AM
2nd Gear

i dont like the chrome look either. i was thinking more a machined silver or brushed look. thats why i named hre, bbs and volk. the black on black look the way you described it ends up looking like someone went overboard with a can of black spray paint. the car in the pic isnt really "blacked out" its just on black wheels with chrome grills. just looks to common to me.

the a6 has such a nice body i just think that slammed with some wide wheels and a deep exhaust looks/sounds dam sexy!(coil-overs/lowering springs work too) the wheel color choice was because you have a white car and i think that looks the best. (or bronze with a polished lip 3pc wheel) Adj.control arms to get some camber goin for stance/ride quality and some rs6/s6 or other a6 w/hids headlights to keep that oem+ look. upgrading your halogens to hid is cool but sometimes takes away from the clean oem look that stock hids give.

this is all just my opinion, obviously and to each there own.

Quick Reply: should I pimp out my 97 audi a6 or save for newer a6?