Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The skinny on downshifting + syncro trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Default The skinny on downshifting + syncro trouble

Wondering if downshifting with a manual tranny is problematic in theory, and in addition- is shifting into, say 1st gear with clutch in at 30mph, is hard on the syncros...??? I mean Ialways thought that downshifting and compression braking wasfine for a manual transmission and bad for an automatic...hmm.

I'd really like to get some good perspectives here! What's the verdictpeople????

[hr]

2000 A6 2.7T 6spd
New owner - sweet auto

Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: The skinny on downshifting + syncro trouble

My indy mechanic got me to stop downshifting (as much as I was). He said brake pads are a lot cheaper to replace. I get the purpose of downshifting to slow down, but I'm over it.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:13 AM
3rd Gear

Four Ring is correct. In the old days - when brakes were weak - downshifting was the way to go. But today it is not necessary. The only real reason to downshift is to be in the correct gear to keep the engine in the best torque range and ready for the quick get away.

In the interest of full disclosure the author freely admits that the following is slightly overstated to make a point. He hopes you get it!

As for going to first gear at 30 MPH - just think of those poor syncros sitting there minding their own business - then some mean spirited person says I'm going to push you against a piece of metal that is spinning at a high rateso you match it's speed. The little guys have no choice but scream as they are forced to make contact (the rape of the syncros) after awhile they give up and you have to pay.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

yeah thanks for the input four rings and nhusa, seems like it's a total misconception these days...i dunno but it makes sense.

would ya both happen to know about control arm replacement? there's four per wheel in an A6 right? there is at least one out in the front-right...

Old 03-14-2008, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

I don't remember about the control arms on the A6 -

I did all the front bushings and arms on the 99 Passat and the kit was about $600(I think) from Force Five in Concord NH - The dealer wanted something like $1500.

I also did a top control arm on the rear of my Audi 200 QT. That was easy - just about an hour.

Just remember to align the beast or you'll wear out your tires

PS Force five --603-223-6700

Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

Well this thread seems to be the best place to ask my question so here goes...I am having trouble shifting my 5 speed manual a4 into reverse, 1st, and 2nd. like u have to pull hard to get it into reverse. could the syncro rings be the problem for this?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by McMeMan
Well this thread seems to be the best place to ask my question so here goes...I am having trouble shifting my 5 speed manual a4 into reverse, 1st, and 2nd. like u have to pull hard to get it into reverse. could the syncro rings be the problem for this?
How many mils on your current clutch?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

That I'm not sure of, the car all together has 134k on it, and I have to say it seems to clutch perfectly, when im driving it never slips and glides into gear beautifully, its just getting the damn shifter lever into place thats killing me. I will try to find out if I can the mileage on this clutch

Old 10-16-2008, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

well if it never was changed which is highly unlikely its the clutch .... my dad had 125k on his clutch b4 it went ... even still depending on yourself and the previous driver it could be the clutch but there are other signs you would be seeing if the clutch was going ...good luck

Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear

Just for the record, I regularly downshift but do it gently and try to match rpm. I've always done this on my cars. I turned a Saturn VUE over to my daughter with 118k and she now has over 150k on the original clutch.

But back to the A6, I did have to replace the clutch but I attribute it more to 1) the original owner towing a small trailer for the first 37k miles and 2) me chipping it and then opening it up to 155 mph.

Quick Reply: The skinny on downshifting + syncro trouble