Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, A Million Noob Xenon Upgrade Questions - Thanks in Advance for your help!!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Sorry, A Million Noob Xenon Upgrade Questions - Thanks in Advance for your help!!!!

Hi all. I just bought a 2007 A6 Quattro 3.2 yesterday, and I love it! The only main issue I have with it is that it has halogen headlights, and I prefer those signature Audi Xenons. I don't really want to buy an aftermarket HID kit and put HID lights in the current halogen housing. I was wondering if it is possible to buy a complete OEM Audi Bi-Xenon headlight housing assembly set with bulbs/ballasts/everything I need etc. and just plug them in and turn them on? Or is it much more complicated than that?

If it is possible, does anyone have any suggestions about where I could buy them? I've read that I should get Hella headlights (Is that what Audi uses when they factory install xenons?). Does anyone know where I might be able to buy those? Online is fine, or I'm in Chicago if anyone knows of anything local. And what price range are we talking about here for the whole setup done properly? Out of curiosity is it like $100-$200 or is it more like $1000-$2000?

I've been trying to search around on the forums and I've read that the factory installed HIDs are "adaptive" so that they move around corners as you turn the steering wheel, and they automatically rebalance everytime you start the car. I would want the xenons only for looks, as opposed to performance (in case anyone is curious, and I know maybe I'm being superficial, but hey, I love those Audi HIDs), so I don't really care that the lights wouldn't turn when I turn the wheel. But in regards to the whole "automatically rebalances everytime you turn the car on" thing, is that going to be an issue and will I have problems down the road if I try to upgrade to xenons and I don't have the adaptive system in my car?

Also, how easy or difficult is this to do? I'm not very mechanical. Is it simple plug-and-play, or would I have to find someone who could do it for me?

Also, crossing my fingers and assuming I can do this, will replacing the headlights give me error messages etc. or will it be okay as long as I use OEM parts?

Another noob question, I've read about this VAG-COM thing that people say you should get. What exactly is that? Does that help get rid of error messages? Would that help if I wanted to upgrade my headlights?

And I guess, considering I've only had the car for about 30 hours, is there anything else that you suggest I do/get for my car?

Again, Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me. I really appreciate it. Sorry for the million questions, And sorry for my noobishness. Hopefully, as time progresses, I will get less nooby, and I will be able to turn around and help others in need of assistance.

Peace,

-Sam.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
3rd Gear

My 2003 has Xenon low beams and halogen high beams, and they was a part of an $1850 premium package. I think I read somewhere that Xenons alone were an $800 option. You don't want to use Xenons for high beams because the constant dipping will burn them out quickly. Research tells me bi-Xenons use a metal shield to block some of the light on low beam and allow it all out on high beam, which eliminates the "dipping the high beams" issue. If you want Xenon low beams, I would look at converting yours with an HID kit. A good one will probably cost $200-300 with ballasts and bulbs. Finding one is a job for Google.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Ahh, ok. Thanks. So you're saying I shouldn't try to get Bi-Xenons. Stick to my Halogens for the high beams and then use xenons for the low beams. But I should still get new headlight assembly's, correct?

I guess to make it clearer, my current headlight looks something like this:

And I want it to look something like this:

So, if I bought the HID headlight assembly, I could just install it. Then, if I buy a set of of HID bulbs/ballasts for my low beams, I could install those in conjunction with the new assembly. And I could just plug in my current halogen high beams in the new assembly also, correct?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

-Sam.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear

Man, buying parts for Audi is not easy. You need to have the seller of the new assembly confirm compatibility. Ditto for the HID kit. Looking at pictures is not enough.