Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 PM
1st Gear
Default strange oil leak

So yesterday I came home from work at 6 pm and parked my car in the drive way. When I went to pull it into the garage I noticed a big puddle of oil. Today I replaced the passenger CV shaft and it leaked more, it looks like new motor oil but with water in it. The oil in the engine right now is dirty, so much darker than what was leaking. Btw, the leak is coming from the front of the engine oil pan (not saying that is where it is coming from) and flowing to middle it and dripping. during work today I put a paper towel under the dripping and the fluid looks red. I don't think its coolant because its slippery. What could it be? My car is a 2000 a6 2.7t with a 6 speed manual and 110,000 miles.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Check to see if your power steering fluid looks like that - CHF-11S isn't red but I've seen people put ATF in their steering resevoirs before, and it's all at the front of the engine.
Jim

Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

The power steering fluid doesn't really look like the leaking fluid. But could it cause some to come out some where if I turn the steering wheel while the engine is not running? I did this when I replaced the CV axle.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear

If you have too much fluid in the reservoir for the power steering it will swap over and leak out. The cap has a few holes to let out air/pressure and too much fluid if it is over max.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Another thing I noticed about 5 hours after the last time it ran it starts to leak. Could it be a transmission cooler? Do they have coolers on the manual? The fluid is light red, I would think it would be dirty because I think it is oranigal fluid. and the power steering had proper fluid level and is not red.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

Manual transmission does nor have a cooler, so any leaks would be from the rear of the engine area. Plus, gear oil has a very distinctive smell, if you have a friend who really knows cars they can tell you right away if it's gear oil.
I'd take a drop of each fluid from each resevoir (oil, brake,power steering, radiator) and put them on a white card or piece of heavy paper, along with a drop of what is leaking. That should make it easier to see what it is that's happening by matching the samples.
Jim

Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

I have ruled out motor oil, gear oil, power steering, brake and coolant. There is nothing left to check! This leak is random as well, last night it leaked into 2 puddles. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear

The only Red oil (really red, not just orange or so) I can think of on my car is the recharge kit of my aftermarket Air filter. I doubt you're using one and even if, it shouldn't be dripping down cause that would be very bad for your MAF.
Also it should stop sooner or later since it there is only a limited amount available from where it can come from. hopefully when you run dry your car will let you know what is missing

Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

I use paper filters, bit the amount leaking couldn't have home from something like that, it leaks a lot. All this started after I got a car wash. Maybe that hurt it in some way?

Last edited by nickb123; 04-10-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

After a car wash - is it possible that what you're seeing is water + dust/dirt coming out (slowly) of the (possibly blocked) water drainage passages, like the drain under the battery, or the sun-roof drain lines?
Jim

Quick Reply: strange oil leak