Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggested Extended Warranty company???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Suggested Extended Warranty company???

I am on my third Audi all of which were covered by Factory Warranty. I just purchased a 03 4.2 with 60 K. It a great car with nothing wrong (yet). After reading the first 20 pages of the forums, I think it would be best to spend a little now vs. $$$$$ further down the road. Can someone please suggest the best extended warranty company?

Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Suggested Extended Warranty company???

I purchased my extended warranty through the AAA. Since my 05 4.2 is still under the Audi warranty I have not yet used the extended warranty. I figured the AAA endorsement had a value and the rates were competititve.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

i have that same warranty...and they denied my repairs due to downpipes...sway bars and non audi diverter valves...so id say they're ********...but if you dont modify ur car in any way...even different wheels...they might be good

Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

The factory warranty on my 2003 A6 ran out a couple of months ago. I spoke with my local Audi dealer and he quoted me the following prices. He was initially reluctant to quote me anything because it has been two months since my warranty expired and apparently you have to disscuss the option of taking up the extended warranty at 49,000 miles or less. I am at 49,900. But he said he will make an expection. Also I am hoping the prices are for 'Audi extended warranty' and not a 3rd party warranty company. If it is 3rd party extended warranty, I will not get it.

Additional 2 years/till 75,000 miles = $2629 ($200 deductible)
Additional 3 years/till 85,000 miles = $2929 ($200 deductible)
Additional 4 years/till 100,000 miles = $3546 ($200 deductible)

Additional 2 years/till 75,000 miles = $2809 ($100 deductible)
Additional 3 years/till 85,000 miles = $3109 ($100 deductible)
Additional 4 years/till 100,000 miles = $3993 ($100 deductible)

Additional 2 years/till 75,000 miles = $3364 ($0 deductible)
Additional 3 years/till 85,000 miles = $3664 ($0 deductible)
Additional 4 years/till 100,000 miles = $5370 ($0 deductible)

I am still thinking about what warranty to get from the above options. According to him, control arms, ABS control unit, etc. basically everything under the manufacturer's warranty is covered. He was a little vague about the timing belt replacement. He said something on the lines of how you set up the claim determines if you get paid for it or not. I think what he is saying is, if the Audi tech checks the timing belt on a routine service and determines that it has worn out and needs replacement, you set up the claim such that it shows that the timing belt failed and needed replacement. But I still have to talk to him in person and make sure that is what he is saying.

But if I get the extended warranty, I will make sure it is from Audi and not a 3rd party. I have heard about people getting burned by companies that went bankrupt.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:52 PM

I'd be cautous about the timing belt being covered. Rarely have I seen any warranty company cover a timing belt because it's a wear item. This is NO MATTER how you state it to the warranty company.

Check that out.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Yeah, I bought a (very) high mile 4.2 and intended to get an aftermarket warranty. However, they were too vague for me, and they required that I show proof of maintenance- most of which I do myself. So, I'm live without a net, *scary*.[&:]

Old 06-04-2007, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

i got an 02' a4 with 52K on it. bought a warranty from AUL that covered EVERYTHING! Or so i thought. two months into the ride my tranny started grinding all wierd. (tiptronic by the way, not manual) AUL said they would cover a new tranny. I had the existing one ripped out and then they said all they had to do was send an inspector out to make sure everything was on the up and up. Well when they found out you cant even really get rebuilt trannys for my car the inspector mysteriously concluded that there wasnt enough evidence for them to cover the costs. Huh? ya dont say. to make a long story even longer they didnt pay and i got stuck with a vessal of a car with no tranny cause once you open them up you cant really put them back together. One time use only bolts hold the thing together, which you cant get from AUDI. After a month of trying to search down a used or rebuilt tranny i gave up and sacked up and bought a new one. 4800$ for the tranny plus labor. i ended up spending 5300 bucks. After the 2800$ warranty (which i cancelled immediatly) anyway, wahh wahh wahh for me. my point is DONT GET AN AUL WARRANTY THEY ARE SHADY!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: eclimax13

i have that same warranty...and they denied my repairs due to downpipes...sway bars and non audi diverter valves...so id say they're ********...but if you dont modify ur car in any way...even different wheels...they might be good
I would not expect any extended warranties, including Audi's own, to cover a car that has been modified.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:19 AM
3rd Gear

Take the $3500-5400 you'd spend on a warranty and put it in a money-market account for catastrophic problems. Most of your costs are going to be normal wear items and not failures (e.g., brakes, timing belt). Pay those out of pocket. Then if something seriousbreaks, you have the cash in the bank. And if nothing breaks, you have cash in the bank.

The comments about mods are especially interesting. It means I could not get a warranty, Even if I bought a warranty before I started modifying the car, the only thing that failed was a alternator that cost $600 to replace. The clutch and flywheel cost me $3000 - so even if it had been covered (which it would not have because the car was chipped), then I'd be even.

Here's another thought. Some a$$shole runs into your A6 and totals it. What good is your warranty? But if you have the cash in the bank.....

Finally, the 4.2l is generally thought to be more reliable than the 2.7T. So there is less reason to buy a warranty if you own the eight.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

I drive an '03 A6 3.0 which currently has 50,100 miles on it. Just wondering if you think I should deposit the $3000 extended warranty amount in a bank and just hope nothing breaks? From what I have seen in the forum, the A6 2.7 Ts are more prone to breaking down than the 3.0s because of the turbos. Since I drive a 3.0, can I expect it to hold up for the next three years atleast without major problems?

Quick Reply: Suggested Extended Warranty company???