Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anyway to fix mushy brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Default Is there anyway to fix mushy brakes?

http://www.carpages.ca/go/roadtest/2...e_quattro.aspx
I copied and pasted the section in the review about the brakes, but you can read the whole review if you want. The link is above.
"The third paradigm of performance following acceleration and handling is braking - or maybe it should be first now that I think about it? After climbing aboard my test unit, I nudged the brake pedal in order to place the console-mounted shifter in reverse. My first thought was "jeez is this brake pedal ever mushy." After a several miles and a few brake applications I became accustomed to the softness in the pedal's actuation. On my favorite stretch of lonesome road I tested and retested them again before decidedly arriving at the conclusion that the initial feeling of mushiness was not necessarily the negative trait I mistook it to be. Stopping the A6 was a predictable and definitive task thanks to the progressive and linear nature of the mushy brake pedal. Little effort was required to direct the A6 to deliver its full braking ability to all four wheels. In doing so the car never jumped out of line or dived excessively nose-first into the tarmac and the antilock system played its part with precision, stepping in when expected but never before".
Before I do any speed work to my car, I want to be able to stop the car at high speeds first. Is there anyway to kill the mushiness of the brakes or atlease kill some of it. I had my 04 S-Line for 3 weeks and in my opinion, this review is true. I'm not gonna get a big brake kit, I'm not gonna do that kind of speed work to need one, but I do want stainless steel brake lines and cross-drilled or slotted rotor (I knowthe rotors arejust for looks). Is there anything I could do?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Is there anyway to fix mushy brakes?

stainless steel lines front & rear would be a good start.
break flud flush and replacement with DOT4

Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 AM

I heard about some blue racing brake fluid, will that work on a stock brake system?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

GET THE BIG BRAKE SET UP, STEEL BRAIDED BRAKE LINES AND BETTER BRAKE PADS.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear

are you going racing? DOT4 fluid is fine. If you are not moddin the car where a big break kit is necessary
the ss lines good rotors and pads will stop the car fine. Zimmerman or Brembo rotors and good ceramic pads will do nicely.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm not gonna mod the car, just a K&N drop in, a transmission cooler, high flow cats and high flow mufflers. The big brake kit would be pointless for me, I just want stop the car better because.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear

To just stop better the previously mentioned items will be fine.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM

Ok, kool..... from what the review was sayin I thought it would be more to it then that........Thanks