Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Questions ,Options ?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear

I would think that there must be a point where the engine begins to lose fuel economy due to heat loss. 4 cycle internal combustion engines are only 30-40% efficient, losing the rest of their power to heat.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by cracker289
Cooler = more dense, more fuel. The hotter your engine the less fuel it uses. Hotter engines are better for fuel economy, hence the factory's tendency towards this, and cooler engines are better for horsepower, therefore the hotrodders tendency towards cooler thermostats (or even removing the thermostat). Which is what I said before.

don't confuse engine temperature with intake manifold and fuel/air mixture temperature, They are different! In fact the engine temp and combustion chamber temps are also different.

Engine temp dictates clearances and oil stability while combustion chamber temps are related to pre-ignition and flame front propagation. Manifold temps affect charge density.

Throw in a bit of compression ratio, gas flow harmonics ( ie runner lengths) and mixture control -- do it right -- and you have the making of a high performance engine.

Statements such as "cooler engines are better for horsepower" or "hotter engines are better for fuel economy" are gross over simplifications. It is the balance between the major factors I mentioned plus a few others.

The hotrodders thermostat removal was usually because the radiators were grosely undersized for the big motors that were put in the vehicles - not for power reasons.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^

give up

I did

Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
^^^^

give up

I did
Your right --- But I have a hard time with half baked answers and questions.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 AM
1st Gear

Removing the thermostat has little to nothing to do with radiator size. It's not done by "hot rodders" to prevent the car from overheating. The reason we do it is because it makes the engine run richer, and that allows you to advance the timing another degree or two. A simple mod like this for example could give your 5.0 Mustang another 10-12 horsepower.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear

LOL Still don't get it do you?

The ECU on modern vehicles such as the 5.0 stang measures motor temp, air temp, rpm, etc and adjusts the fuel air mixture, timing etc.

If you want to run with more advance you need to reprogram the ECU before it will change the algorithm. Just removing the thermostat does nothing.

In the olden days you had to play with carb jets etc to get the mixture correct but I suspect you don't understand about those things.

By the way - there is a big difference in hot rodders and people that just play with cars!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Question !1

Hi guys , i bought and installed the thermostat along with the rest of the timing belt components all seems fine, cecked and all aligns .I do have another question and another thread (A6 missfire after 3500 rpm) .The question is related to a missfire wich occurs in three cylinders on bank 2 but only if i drive above the 3000 rpm mark ,and i have new plugs ,new ignition coils,swapped the injectors and the problem did not move with them ,cecked for vacuum leaks on hoses and intake .I wonder what should i ceck next and if i need to perform basic settings or learn the ecu new valuses and for what components (02's, fuel trim or stuff like that )Any help will be appreciated .thank you