Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying A6 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 07:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Thinking about buying A6 Quattro

Hello,</P>

I have an opportunity to buy an A6 Wagon Quattro 1996 model 2.8 and loaded right up. I'm wondering what I should expect as far as mechanical problems and if I should be concerned about a few things now. The rear driver window doesn't go down (dealer says will fix) The moonroof bounces back open when you close it like there's a safety feature so you're hand doesn't get caught and the radio doesn't turn on. These are all things that the dealer says they'll take care of, but should I buy this car. It's beautiful and rides like a dream. I'm in the Northeast (ny) and snow has been an issue. The dealer wants $10,000 it has 74k.</P>

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.</P>

Thanks,</P>

Old 02-15-2003, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

Have it checked by a mechanic. At my work there is a 96 A6 wagon for sale, it looks perfect. But, if you look closer, there is a weld the entire width of the car right behind the front axle. The whole front clip had been welded on. You would never know by looking at it. If he doesnt let you take it, don't buy it. I think pre purchase inspections cost like $75 or something, unless you know the mechanic personally. Money well spent if they find the car is gonna need something that will cost $1500.

Old 02-16-2003, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Thanks,</P>

I'll check it out. Overall, it seems like a good buy. The car is very solid.</P>

Are these cars prone to electrical probems?</P>

Old 02-22-2003, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

96 modles are prone to start costing you $$.</P>

Use caution.</P>

Old 02-24-2003, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Oh great.</P>

What kind of problems should I expect. The car rides and drives beautifully. I'm hoping it will be the last car I buy for about a decade. I hope it will make it. Have you had a 69 with problems? Why the 96 model year?</P>

Thanks!</P>

Old 03-02-2003, 10:12 AM

Hi!

On the other hand it should be one of the most mature examples of the C4 model. I'm driving an older one and after 272 thousand on it still runs smooth and solid and has not given major headaches. Of course they need servicing but what else do You expect if you don't by a new one?

The previous quattro I had had over 500.000 on it when I sold it. They are ment to be driven (and serviced properly).

Sam

Old 03-02-2003, 08:55 PM

Check out Control arms and heater servo motors before you buy the a6 wagan. Also check out center drive shaft for looseness

Old 03-03-2003, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Wow,</P>

500k! That's incredible. Well, I bought the car. The only problem with the car right now is the rear driver side window motor, bu the dealer is replacing it. It runs and drives like a dream. I imagine I should change the timimg belt at 90k and probably the water pump as well. I appreciate the help and hopefully, I'll get this sucker over 200k easily. I'm going from a Honda Accord Wagon with 275 to this car.</P>

Thanks Again!</P>

Old 03-03-2003, 07:42 PM

I think You should change the belt before the 90k mark.

It is a small cost for being less prone to having to buy a new engine.

Old 03-03-2003, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

When should I do it. Maybe 80k?</P>

How much does that job normally run?</P>

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying A6 Quattro