Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING AN AUDI AND NEED HELP

Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Default THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING AN AUDI AND NEED HELP

Hey thought that this will be the best way to get information on the pros and cons of an Audi. I'm thinking of buying an Audi, and have no idea where to start. I know what I like, and that's about as far as it goes. Price wise I'm trying to stay underneath 9k. I have absolutely no idea what to look for when it comes to buying a used car, and I also want to know what's good and bad aboutA6. All I know is that when it comes to changing the oil, you have to stay on top of it. I basically just want to know the life on these cars, what problems I'll have to deal with, engine info, things list that. I don't know about cars, so any advice will be much appreciated.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING AN AUDI AND NEED HELP

In general, you'll find the 2.8l and 3.0l boring but reliable; the 4.2l fast and durable, but a gas guzzler, and the 2.7T quick, can be modded to over 450hp, but you gotta take real good care of it and worry about the turbos.

The Quattro systems are reliable, other than the occasional CV joint or wheel bearing as discussed in this forum. Otherwise you're looking at a car with a lot of features and therefore more opportunity for little things to go wrong. Some can stop the car...some are purely annoyances.

I bought mine used at 34k and have driven it 60k in less than two years. Under warranty: a brake sensor anda rear transmission seal. I lost an alternator at the moment I impacted a pothole in Detroit - coincidence, I think not. I chipped the car and then needed a clutch/flywheel 10,000 miles later. And it goes in for the mandatory timing belt + other parts rebuild in two weeks (manual suggests at 105k but everyone does it early - some as early as 60k and most before 90k).

All that being said, it is a fun car to drive - comfortable, stylish, and with my set-up very peppy. It's reasonably fast off the line but it's strength is high speed highway cruising and it accelerates very well from 70-100+. Michigan has crappy winter weather, and the quattro is outstanding in snow and slush. Fuel "economy" (an oxymoron) is 16-20 when driven gently around town; 22-24 at 70-75; and 20-22 at 75-85 with occasional passing bursts. If I was patient and drove ~60 it would probably return 25+.

Search this forum and you'll find many similar questions and discussions.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: geezmary

Hey thought that this will be the best way to get information on the pros and cons of an Audi. I'm thinking of buying an Audi, and have no idea where to start. I know what I like, and that's about as far as it goes. Price wise I'm trying to stay underneath 9k. I have absolutely no idea what to look for when it comes to buying a used car, and I also want to know what's good and bad aboutA6. All I know is that when it comes to changing the oil, you have to stay on top of it. I basically just want to know the life on these cars, what problems I'll have to deal with, engine info, things list that. I don't know about cars, so any advice will be much appreciated.
the internet is full of help here pick your own car and dont ask others to do it for you ( all cars have issues ) so join a site of your choice to get the best car

Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 PM

Audi is without a doubt one of the best cars in my book. I drive an A6 myself, and i am a long time fan of Audi.BUT - If you are on a budget - and only thinking of spending 9K ... i would not advise getting into an Audi .... sorry ... it is a fantastic car - I love it .. but for 9,000 you are looking at year 2000and older with high miles .... Audi is reliable ... but all cars need repairs sometime... and Audi's are expensive to repair ...... if you end up with "bad luck" and getting into one which has not been properly maintained it could become VERY costly .....

hope this was helpful.