AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   timing belt done but not water pump (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/timing-belt-done-but-not-water-pump-130466/)

madman1234509 04-21-2009 03:14 PM

timing belt done but not water pump

well i just picked up my 2002 6 speed 2.7t. it has 59500 miles on it. was planning on doing the timing belt and water pump. then come to find out i found a bunch of recipts in the glove box from a dealership where the previous owner's check engine light came on for some reason so the dealership replaced the timing belt/tensioner at 58300 miles, in febuary. called the dealership and they said if it wasnt stated in the notes the water pump wasnt/ didnt need to be replaced.

so what im trying to get opinions on is what should i do have the water pump done soon or wait another 10000 -20000 more miles and just have everything done again? what do you guys think

wammy18 04-21-2009 03:20 PM

People and my self do the pump at the same time because you save labor. You would have to pay the labor basiclly for the timing belt job to get the water pump on now. Not worth it in my eyes if everything is running fine. Id wait till 80k possible 100k pending on how the car is running in the future. You can always just save some money for that job and put it to the side incase it happens randomly you can get it fixed asap. That is what I do in situations like this. You know you are going to end up paying at some point but might as well wait till something else goes wrong in that area or that goes wrong so you can possible save some more money.

Sam K

ppgoal 04-21-2009 05:38 PM

There's really no reason to do the water pump with the TB other than the labor to get at both is the same and substantial, so it just makes sense to change them together. There is no "life" of a water pump and you could be one of the lucky ones whose pump runs forever. Since your TB was done at 58k, plan on doing it again (along with the water pump) around 150k, unless the water pump starts giving you problems. PS-I replaced my water pump at 90k with the TB job and it looked fine - impellors in good shape - nor was there any leaking.

loach1 04-21-2009 06:25 PM

Just listen to the stuff up front from time to time. The pulleys and the water pump will let you know if they are going by singing to you for a while before they die. The belt isn't usually the first thing to break, it's one of the pulleys or the water pump. Just make sure next time the belt is replaced that the tensioner pulley, idler pulley and water pump are done at the same time.

Jackmup 04-21-2009 06:29 PM

I have recepts that say the same thing. It's job security.
T-belt without tensioner and roller. Then the waterpump and the T-belt. then the thermostat. Then the tensioners and no mention of the t-belt. That's when the receipts cahnged to a different shop. Man that guy got screwed. DO -IT- ALL and don't forget the seals!

madman1234509 04-21-2009 09:52 PM

ya the entire glove box was filled with recipts, this guy got screwed also. they did the timing belt and tensioner/roller, then like 200 miles later did valve covers and cam tensioner seals . those two jobs he paid like 1300 a piece for. then tons of other random recipts.... not to mention he couldnt change things like the oil and wipers on his own. what will happen if the pump goes? anything serious? i assume the car will start to over heat, i would def catch that. also what will it sound like if any of the rollers go? prolly be atleast taking the bumper off tomorrow, i believe the fan behind the radiator on the pass. side is making a slight vibrating noise like something is loose.

loach1 04-21-2009 10:32 PM

Listen for any sound that doesn't belong - squealing or rumbling. The water pump might leak before it gives up, but then again it may not. A failure of any of these components will result in the timing belt slipping, bending valves.

a6hcw 04-21-2009 10:35 PM

Check the front crankshaft and camshaft seals for leaking when doing the timing belt. Most of the required tools may be rented from www.blauparts.com .

99A6Q 04-21-2009 10:39 PM

you will be able to hear the bearing in the water pump making noise before it goes out. Most likely it will start to leak, if anything, when it needs replacement. Drive the car until that happens or until about 130k....if it makes it that far, just change pump and t-belt along with other components.

NH_USA 04-22-2009 11:57 AM

I have an opionioin!!!

I would not be concerned. As some else said changing the seals a waterpump are an issue of preventative maintence "just incase' so you don't have pay labor twice. The seals will let you know there is a problem by leaking and in most cases the waterpump will begin leaking long before it will snap a TB. Consider yourself lucky that the guy before you had the TB done early at 58K and as ppgoal said plan on doing everything at around 150K.

Don't loose any sleep over it and have fun!!