AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   tips and suggestions for the new 2.7t owner (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/tips-suggestions-new-2-7t-owner-55914/)

ppgoal 04-15-2007 07:48 PM

RE: tips and suggestions for the new 2.7t owner

IMO, 60k is way early for the timing belt. The 2003 manual calls for 105k and I had mine done at 94k. Is there a risk - sure - but I think Audi would recommend a lower mileage if it was engineered for less.

Baskin 4.2l 04-16-2007 07:21 AM

Actually I tend to agree with the 60l service for max reliability. There are several people that have blown there T/B with less than 80k on the car. Audi has been flooded with complaints from people that have experienced a premature T/B failure that Audi now recommends that they get changed at 75k. So based on that there is a risk.

the old intervals
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ima...ance.sched.pdf

the new ones
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ima...ance.sched.pdf

all the motors have the same parts. Audi just decided to come clean

in the end its your car that is at risk so change the T/B when you feel like it. But for me I will be changing mine every 60k

It is for info like this that I would love for this to be a sticky for all the new people to see

heisse_mkII 04-28-2007 02:10 PM

Wow, I wish I had this info. when I first bought my car. Good info.

Costner 06-07-2007 11:59 PM

Couple questions about the updated maintenance schedule. First, I noticed they only have it indicated to rotate the tires at 5k and never again. I'll chalk that up to a misprint? I would plan to rotate every 5k and balance every 10k, and from what I hear I need to be sure the rotate is from front to back only since I have the quattro.

Second, does everyone agree that going 10k between oil changes is a good idea? I am running Mobil 1 full sythetic in my 2.7T (or will be as soon as I get my first oil change on Tuesday), but can I really stretch it to 10k between changes? I was thinking 5,000 or possibly 7,500 if I was doing a lot of highway driving, but 10k?

2k S4 06-08-2007 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Costner
Couple questions about the updated maintenance schedule. First, I noticed they only have it indicated to rotate the tires at 5k and never again. I'll chalk that up to a misprint? I would plan to rotate every 5k and balance every 10k, and from what I hear I need to be sure the rotate is from front to back only since I have the quattro.

Second, does everyone agree that going 10k between oil changes is a good idea? I am running Mobil 1 full sythetic in my 2.7T (or will be as soon as I get my first oil change on Tuesday), but can I really stretch it to 10k between changes? I was thinking 5,000 or possibly 7,500 if I was doing a lot of highway driving, but 10k?
Yea, rotate them when ever.

M1 is no longer a true synthetic, so change it every 5000-7500 max.

Costner 06-08-2007 02:47 PM

Mobil 1 isn't a full synthetic? The shop said the use Mobil oil and they would use a synthetic since I have the 2.7T but I never asked for additional detail and I really would prefer to use a full synthetic. However, by looking at the Mobile site, I came across this FAQ:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.
Now I see where they also have other Mobil 1 products that indicate the weight/viscosity such as "Mobil 1 5W-30" but it also said "Mobil 1 5W-30 is a high performance fully synthetic engine oil", so which ones aren't full synthetics?

Is Mobil 1 not as good as the marketing implies? Should I consider alternatives?

2k S4 06-08-2007 05:32 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Costner
Mobil 1 isn't a full synthetic? The shop said the use Mobil oil and they would use a synthetic since I have the 2.7T but I never asked for additional detail and I really would prefer to use a full synthetic. However, by looking at the Mobile site, I came across this FAQ:
[quote]

Yup, it's not real full synthetic anymore. M1 sued Castrol a little while ago, over what a synth oil is, so they changed the definition. It's not called a syth, but only has Grp III oil in it, & not even one drop of PAO, Easter or GRP IV. It's a quality oil, but not a synthetic.

We have talked about this in great lengths before, if you do a little search, you will come up on the links, & oil analysis test.

RIDINHIGH 07-04-2007 10:39 PM

Hey, I'm going to be getting an A6 2.7t here soon and I'm definetly going to be using this info when buying! Thanks! And I was wondering how often the turbos go out? Does it happen to them all? Thanks again!

ppgoal 07-05-2007 10:51 AM

RIDINHIGH -

Between this Forum and another Audi forum, I've seen posts claiming turbos have blown at 50-60k and others thatstill have their original turbos at 155k. Mine are original at 100k and I'm hoping they last a long, long time. I warm up the car before accelerating hard, let it cool down for a few miles after a high speed run, and change the oil (Mobil1 5W-30 or 5w-40) as close to 8k as I can. I'm no longer sure what a "real" synthetic motor oil is, but the original owner and I have used M1 since the car was new and it was required by DC for my Crossfire in order to maintain the warranty.

Cappachinoo 07-05-2007 02:23 PM

I just got a 2.7T S-line.

A great way to extend the turbo life is to get Dp's. they will drop the exhaust temperature by 200 degs in some cases. not only that but they will alow the turbos to have less restriction and thus no work as hard to produce as much boost.

There is no reason not to get Dp's VAST performance sells tip and 6 speed Dp's for 400$

What is a DP?