Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic and differential service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Tiptronic and differential service?

I sopke to a recommended Indy Audi mechanic and he recommended I change my tranny fluid between 60-70K as well as the diff. fluids. He quoted me 5-600 for the job. I've read a bunch of different opinions and info on here, so I'm just getting some more opions.
I know when re-filling, mechanics use different tools for the level and temperature control to ensure accuracy,so I know that's a factor in the cost.
Does anyone have any different opinions on when either or both of these services should be done, when they should be done, and what's a reasonable cost?
I know he's pretty fairly prices in general, as he quoted me 7-800 for my TB replacement around that he recommended I do around 80K. I have 67xxx on the car right now.
Thanks for your opinions.
Jeremy

Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Tiptronic and differential service?

I paid $190.00 for a drain/refill/filter change on my 2000 tip when I had it done. But they did use generic esso fluid. I chose to change my center/rear diff myself. I would say with oem fluids and labor 500-600 seems a little high, but that is probably the going rate.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
3rd Gear

Make sure he uses a high quality synthetic like Redline, or Amsoil, or puts in the factory fluid. Most of the cost is the fluid, I used almost a case to drain & flush out mine. Also make sure you get a new filter in the trans!

Since you are in there, you SHOULD do the center & front diff.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone ahve any recommendations on mileage intervals for tranny fluid and diff fluid?
And any opinions on draining vs. flushing?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: jaymac
Does anyone ahve any recommendations on mileage intervals for tranny fluid and diff fluid?
And any opinions on draining vs. flushing?
I would do it every 50kmi at least. Changing only get about 1/2 of the fluid, so you can do that one every 25-30kmi, but the flush gets about 75-90% of the old fluid.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

I've seen a post on here that said completely flushing out the fluid can be dangerous. What's your opinion?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

I wouldn't flush the system with an external flushing machine. What it does is that it sends high pressure fluid through the tranny, and loosen miscellaneous build-up and chunks. Not to mention that it may damage sensors. In theory, loosing build-up is a good thing, but the bits tend to get stuck in small valves, passages, and etc. Then you just fried your tranny.

As for being able to do it yourself, I say for sure. First of all, differential fluids are pretty straight forward. Just drain and fill until slowly drips from the fill hole. But the tranny is a bit more complicated. You should drain while the tranny is some what warm. Remove pan, clean the inside, including the magnet, replace the filter and reinstall with new gasket. Fill the fluid until it slowly drips. Start the car, run through each gear for 10 seconds or so, and then refill until the fluid slowly drips while idling.

As for the fluid, you can pretty much use any good quality gear oil. Brand does not matter. But for the auto tranny fluid, I would only use OEM/Pentosin. Unless, it says that it meets Audi Vw TL52162 specifications. Equivalent to Audi VW G 052 162 A2, I wouldn't use it.

Oh, BTW, www.blauparts.com has a decent change instruction. The following is link.

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...nsmissionfluid