Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 01:07 PM
1st Gear
Default trans noise

I have a 1996 A6 wagon front wheel drive . Yesterday When I put it into park the trans started squealing. This happens only in park or neutral. It shifts and drives well while in gear with no noise (yet?). Has anyone had a similar experience. Unfortunately this model has the closed trans so I cant even check the fluid level
Thanks

Old 07-03-2005, 10:46 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: trans noise

I think I may have the same problem too. Just wondering, does your transmisssion make a knocking noise in Park and Neutral or is it squellling? I find mine gets quite when I push the brake pad, the noise goes away. Does this happen with yours as well? I asked a great mechanic (he only does Audis and Mercedes) about this kinda noise and he wasn't sure what it could be but he said it's not any good news!

Have you had any chance to find out about this strange noise?

Old 07-04-2005, 06:02 AM
2nd Gear

The squealing is probably your starter. You know 'cause it only works in park and neutral. I would look into if your ignition switch has gone bad. Easy way to tell does the key feel mushy when you start it or springy? Springy is good, mushy is bad. Does your squeal go away if you turn backwards (towards off but not to off) on your key? Do your headlights not work too? Headlights turn off to start the car so if you have no headlights, your key is really in the start position instead of on.

I guess it would really depend on the squeal too, Does it sound like a motoring squeal (like something is running besides your engine)? Does it change if you rev (only attempt this if you are sure it is not related to your starter)? It could be belt slack but you should hear it in gear as well if it were.

Oh and as for kianoosh's knocking, is it in the cabin (the knocking) because your transmission has the lock out where you have to push the brake to get out of park and neutral and if the knocking is in the cabin, it is most likely the mechanism that controls the lock out, mine knocks sometimes... I don't know how to fix it though... I don't really find it to be worth worrying over.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Dan(?)

Yeah I figured it wasn't that important since it only does it at that position. Actually last night I found that if it doesn't make the noise (knocking) when brake is applied, there is the same slight knock (only once). So it's just the locking mechanism. I hope wardhill's problem is not that bad though.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

That is my best guess, I can usually feel it in my shifter **** when mine does it. It feels like something is knocking against it lightly.

And yeah it is Dan

Yeah, Wardhill can really screw up his transmission if he doesn't get it fixed quick.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone. Dan908 called it right. It turned out to be a faulty ignition switch. Apparently it was'nt springing all the way back thus keeping the starter ingaged. Still don't know why it did'nt make the noise while in gear, but anyway...
New switch from Audi $200
Modify existing key to new switch and replace$150
Thanks again

Old 07-09-2005, 04:15 AM
2nd Gear

Your car doesn't start normally if it is in drive or reverse (so if there is no noise in the drive gears...). It makes it easy to diagnose.

350 bucks sucks, I paid 38 bucks (local vw dealer) for my part but 200 dollars to get it installed. Who in the world puts a plastic ignition switch behind everything and then some in the stupid dash. The only plus of a ford, it took me twenty minutes to remove the switch from my steering column. With my Audi, I never got it out (but the mechanic did).