Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans oil line

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Default Trans oil line

Car -- 1997 A6 Quattro

Need to know the best place to buy the trans oil lines. I have two that have rusted and started leaking fluid. I have only been able to find the part at all on VAGCAT.com but they seem to be oversees (Price in EUROs).

Are there any US discount dealers that would be able to get the part for me.

On a side note, I also need a driver and passenger airbag.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear

Might want to use that part number off of vagcat.com and call an audi dealer to get a quote. Also a really nice used parts site is http://www.shokan.com/

Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM

I would prefer to go new on the lines. I'm in Michigan and would rather get a few more years out of them than offered by used.

Josh

Old 10-15-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Be prepared to be shocked by the price. I called the dealer when the tranny was backed off in mine, and saw how rusty they were. I think it was near 300 for the both.
My mech advised me to go with what I have till I spring a "little" leak, and splice SS tubing into them, or rubber hose.

But, then, EVERYTHING is expensive on these cars, isn't it? 100 plus for plug wires, up to 250 "our price".

I got a Cyl 1 misfire code and don't WANT to buy 100 bucks of wires to get rid of it. Will try plugs, first.

Cheers,

George

Old 10-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Best I was able to get from a dealer was 250 for the pair. That doesn't include the $3 Orings that I need. Decided to go the used route after calling a couple shops and being told that no one can make a set of lines.

Josh

Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
3rd Gear

Try Force five in Concord NH - Used and new Audi stuff... Talk with Chris.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM

NAPA stocks transmission hose, for the transmission cooling lines in several different diameters. They will cut it to length at the store.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Stealth,

Anybody, including you, can MAKE a PART of the lines. Connection to the tranny, to the rad is not generally rusted. You need the rusted part.You CAN cut the line, use compression fittings, if you can buy them, bend your own and be home free.

Mine own are rusty as hell. Called, as I mentioned above, outrageous.

I have tube benders, and I think I have compression fittings that will make up new lines. Making the end terminations is another story. I would keep them, cut as far down as need be to get the rot out.

I would estimate you would have 20 bucks or less in stainless steel tubing to make replacement SPLICED lines.

Cheers,

George

Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear

Trans line connections at the radiator are not a normal fitting. You might be able to jurry rig something but I would be concerned about trashing a good transmission. In any case you'll need a VagCOM to get the fluid fill correct. Some people are lucky but Why take a chance?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

NH,

I didn't say to make up entire line. If I recall correctly, the ends are junction block type connectors, with "O" rings. That end, to near the rusted line, would be saved. New piece spliced in.

As far as the VAGCOM for refill, I don't know. I have been told that you pull one of the plugs, the level indicator, when the tranny is at the right temperature. If it drips a bit, it is right, if it pours out it is overfilled, and if nothing comes out, it is low.

Temperature is important, per my mech. It may be that the VAGCOM can tell you the temp. Is that why you say it is required?

Cheers,

George

Quick Reply: Trans oil line