Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 04:35 AM
Default Transmission problem

Dear All,

I have an A6, 2.4, model 2000 steptronic. The car was in a good condition however recently it started having problems.
1) If I tried to start the car before fastening the seat belt (to avoid the seat belt alarm) the injection sign goes on and the car starts then shuts down (as if the car key is not programmed for the car). The funny thing that I hit the dash board the injection sign turns off and the car can start. I went to Audi dealer, they informed me that this is the "Instrument Cluster" and it needs to be replaced. I agreed but postponed that.

2) I went to a workshop to changed the engine oil & filter. After I left the workshop after changing the oil & filter, I felt something wrong with the automatic transmission then the shift indicators lights in the dash board for all gears went on. I had to shut down the engine then restart. Since that day, I have big issue with all the shifts, there is a delay in picking up any shift, there is a noise after the car picks up any shift, and it happens a lot now that indicators in the dash board for all gears go on and i have to shut down the engine then restart.
When I use manual shifting, the car shifts to a higher gear on its own, and when I'm on the first gear, the care doesn't move & I have to put it back on automatic.
Also if I started moving fast (especially on the 1st gear) I hear a bang sound.
I went again to the Audi dealer, they told me it's because of the "Instrument Cluster". Is that true? Or is it a Gearbox problem?

Please advise.

Thanks.
Yehya

Old 02-12-2006, 03:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Transmission problem

as far as the indicator on the cluster being lit up, that means that your transmission is in limp mode. could be cause by a number of things. id take it to a more competent shop or get them to explain there reason for condemning the cluster. when the trans goes into limp mode it exhibits all the problems you are having. there will be an associated code in the trans control module for why its going into limp mode