Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo whine....or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Turbo whine....or lack thereof

I used to own a VW Jetta 1.8T and just loved the way the turbo would sound as it spooled up. I would even go so far as to drive with my window down more often just to hear it....call me crazy.

The thing is, now with the 2.7T in the Audi, I don't really hear any turbo whine.....it is almost as if it doesn't exist which I didn't expect especially since there are two turbos rather than just the one on the 1.8T. I can hear the engine rev up - and the car picks up speed quickly so I'm not worried about performance or my turbos not working - because I'm pretty sure it would be more than obvious if they weren't, but I just miss the sound when the turbo spools up.

Is this normal for an A6? Do other 2.7T owners out there hear their turbos spooling up or do I need to invest in some hearing aids? Truthfully, I do wonder if part of it is that the passenger cabin on the A6 is so much better as far as sound deadening and insulation that maybe I'm just not hearing it. I've been running the AC a lot and so the windows are up, and maybe unless I really get on it I'm not about to hear anything.

Thoughts?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Turbo whine....or lack thereof

You should be able to hear the turbos whine up but not at high speeds. Your can hear it spool at about 1500 -2300 rpm. If you put an intake on it, belive me, you'll hear it. Don't get to caught in trying to hear it, get a boost gauge and see it.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Site Moderator

Drill some big holes in the bottom of the air box LOL! You can check out the thread about the air box mod if you want, but that will make the turbos so loud you might even get annoyed with it.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 PM

i can hear my turbos spool up only in the low rpm , and it not loud, but i can still hear it

Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 AM
SoCal Crew Member

I went from a 1.8T jetta to a 2.7T A6. I can still hear the turbos whine, but the car is a lot more insulated, which in my book is a big plus. Going from a Jetta to an A6, you have to expect a little increase in refinement.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

Well I might opt for a boost gauge, but I really dislike the steering wheel mounted look as I think it blocks part of the dash, and obviously the airbags remove the idea of a pillar pod. Other ideas?

Never heard about the airbox mod, but I don't know about drilling holes in it merely for sound. If I thought it helped it breathe better perhaps I would consider it provided it wasn't going to create other problems (I assume the air taken in through those holes would be warm engine air rather than cool air from outside the car which could be a negative).

Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

ECS Tuning offers these which fit into the air vent...

Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone actually have that and do they like it? Seems like it would be a real pain to install since you would have to run the electrical connections and tubing through the back of the vent.

I couldn't find it on the ECS Tuning site...is it found somewhere other than the A6 section?

Old 07-07-2007, 01:51 AM
Site Moderator

I installed a couple, they really aren't that hard when you get the vent out. The a/c tube really isn't that long so you can drill it out with a long drill bit from the front and reach under the dash and stick the wires through it. It takes a little bit more effort but well worth it.