Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two 2.7T problems + questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 04:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Two 2.7T problems + questions...

I have a A6 2.7T Sport with Triptronic. At the far ends of the steering radius under hard acceleration I get an odd 'clunck' noise. I get no noise at any other point in the steering nor do I get the noise until I hit the gas HARD. I only notice it because I have a hard turn at an intersection that merges into traffic on my way home each night. I took a 2.8 Avant out and tried the same turn and I thought I heard something similar, but the car is not in that great condition and being heavier and slower it was hard to make a comparison. So, has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal at the far ends of the system?

Next, I am having some wierd intake issues. On cold mornings the car chokes unless I rev it up a little first. If I don't, it will be "surgy"/lethargic for the first 30 seconds or so. It only does it when I start moving, not when I rev it. Then, if I didn't rev it up a little the check engine light will turn on at the EXACT SAME PLACE. The code reads as a bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor AND the secondary air pump. In the afternoon, the check engine light will turn off. I'll go for a couple of days and then it will be cold again and it'll all happen again. Related to this (at least in my mind), is that when I'm going down hill in cruise control I can feel a tiny surge/slow. When the car shifts the RPMs kind of slide, almost like the clutch was slipping.

My gut feeling is that all of this is being caused by a loss of boost pressure due to the OEM diverters, but I would like to try and confirm symptoms with you guys. My plan is to put an APR bipipe kit and either forge or bailey diverters on.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms? Bith Slaps? ...?

Old 03-16-2005, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Two 2.7T problems + questions...

I sometimes notice a similar sound from my car on hard turns also. I just contributed it to the limited slip diff making some noise on hard turns. Don't know for sure, but I have had experience with other cars making some noise out of the diffs on hard turns.

As far as the other problem, I just had mine in for service over the secondary air injection not having enough flow (check engine light). It turned out to be a leaking vaccum line on the combi valve on the #2 bank. I have heard these valves collect alot of carbon and can be troublesome about throwing codes.

Again... I am by no means an expert but atleast it is a starting point.

Andy

Old 03-16-2005, 03:23 PM
rs
2nd Gear

well for the clunking noise on hard turns, it could be a strut that is blown out. i kno on my other car, a 2000 honda accord, when i go over some hard bumps and corner fast it clunks

aint no audi, but jus a thought

Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

I thought about that, but it doesn't make any noise on hard bumps.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:11 PM
rs
2nd Gear

any mods done to the suspension or rims?

Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

nope.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:31 AM
rs
2nd Gear

now thats a noodle scratcher

Old 03-19-2005, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

the clunking noise you heard is probably your diff or something connected to it... My friends WRX does the exact same thing!!!! he has still yet to fix it or confirm what it is... But that is our guess.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

If you turn the wheels to the lock and accelerate hard from stop or slow speed on just about any car with front drive axles, you risk making noise as the outer CV joint tries to turn at the sharp angle you've fed it. The manufacturers ususally set the steering bump stops a little sharper that they might like for CV health so the customer has a turn radius less than a city bus. I've managed to make mine clunk a time or two.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

^ & ^^ Thanks for the responses. Makes me feel a lot better.

Quick Reply: Two 2.7T problems + questions...