Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which type of Brake Pads (Metallic/Semi-Metallic/Ceramic)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Default Which type of Brake Pads (Metallic/Semi-Metallic/Ceramic)?

Hello,

I have an 2004 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro and the brake light is on. I'm not sure if it is the rear brake pads or the front brake pads that need to be replaced. Could somebody tell me how I could figure this out.

Also, I was reading about the various types of brake pads available and I'm confused on which is a better choice for my car. I don't know what type of rotors I have, so I don't know which pads to choose between metallic, semi-metallic and ceramic. Can someone dispense some advice on this?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:57 PM
2nd Gear

Looks like this would be the first (real) brake job to be undertaken by you?
If this is the case - I strongly suggest - leave it to the professionals.
If you have the intention to learn how to fix brakes - do yourself a favor - practice on something cheaper - Focus? Corolla?
Consider the time you’ll spend on this forum => xxxxxx more than the time a brake job should take.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 PM

I am not actually planning on doing it myself. I wanted to order the brakes online and get them on the car by Midas or somebody else, since it seems to be turning out more economical that way.

Should I not do this?

Old 03-26-2010, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear

For complete brake job.
Midas quoted me $1700;
Dealer quoted $1300 -
Quotes were just for fun - to appreciate the spending with DIY. (Parts were $ 400 (Pagid, Zimmerman, Ate).
Using yours supply of parts and others labor is a schema when you will end up with “0” warranty, the labor will be 20% higher; savings will be very questionable.
Having an Audi at this age (car’s) and not qualified for DIY, one needs skilled and honest shop to relay on. If you have intentions to keep the car – get shop manual and vag-com scanner without hesitation.
Check with the shops in your area what is the pricing on CEL diagnostics – DTC and resset.
Many more repairs are coming, get to know your car end budget optimistically- big $$$$ (anything you’ll read about, will happen on your car-much sooner than later).

Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
3rd Gear

The sensor is only on the front brakes. You may also need new rotors depending on their condition. Centrex ceramic pads are about $150 for both axles. Centrex rear rotors $100/pair. I had my fronts turned, but replacements are probably in the $150-200 range as the fronts are larger. Labor was 3.25 hours. Total in my case $550. There are lots of different brake pad and rotor options. I went with what my indie shop recommended as he has been caring for my car the last 5 years.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

We spent $250.00 a few years ago from getcoolparts.com when we ordered 4 brembo rotors and Axis Ceramic pads. FWIW, I would not order Axis Ceramic pads again. This is the third car I've had them on and although they stop better than anything else I've ever used, they dust too much. They also eat your rotors alive.