Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre Pressure Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Exclamation Tyre Pressure Sensor Problem

Hi all

Sorry for making this my first post but im in a bit of a pickle. i recently borrowed my friends RS6 for a trip to scotland over the holiday period. While in scotland i developed a slow puncture caused by oxidation of the front offside tyre valve. I took the car to a garage to have it replaced only to find out that the valve has a pressure sensor mounted on it. due to excess corrosion of the valve the mechanic (if you can call him that) had to break the pressure sensor off. so i drove from scotland to birmingham with a standard rubber valve and and error message on the dash.

Today however i took a trip to audi purchased a new sensor and had it fitted by a friend at quick fit. i asked the audi technician if there was anything special about the valve and he told me it was a simple radar and that once it was fitted and the tyre was blown up to the correct pressure all i would have to do is reset it via the cars computer and all would be well.

Well i gave it a go stored the new tyre pressure settings and after a mile or so i get a new error message saying check tyre pressures. I figured maybe after having the bead broke on the tyre there might be a slight difference in pressures causing the error so i took the car to a garage and had the front blown to 35 and and rears 40 and tried again but to no avail.

My friends done me a favour loaning me the car so i dont want to take it back with error messages on the dash but ive already had to fork out over a hundred quid for the sensor and valve. Any suggestions?? do i have to save the pressures at a specific speed for a specific time or anything silly like that?

Regards

Scottie.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Site Moderator

There is a 20 minute drive period after storing the pressures to get it to set, so if it didn't work the first time out give it another try. If it still throws a fault lamp in the first few minutes there is a problem with the sensor or tyre pressure system, it needs to have the fault code erased by an audi tech before trying again.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:59 PM

ok ive tried it a few times now. the car seemed to be ok this morning i turned off the system then put it back on and drove for about half an hour without any issues then it popped up again now its happening every few minutes when i try set the pressures. Is there anything i should know about the sensors themselfs as i did fit it myself.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Site Moderator

There isn't anything special about them, you could have either put in the wrong sensor or it could have been faulty. You did put in the grey sensor correct? There are a few different types which won't adapt if its the wrong one. I would have the dealer diagnose it first.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by auditech79
There isn't anything special about them, you could have either put in the wrong sensor or it could have been faulty. You did put in the grey sensor correct? There are a few different types which won't adapt if its the wrong one. I would have the dealer diagnose it first.
It was a grey one that came out i took it to audi and they supplied me with an orange one with the same part number so i cant see it being the wrong part. I did however drive 300miles with the tp. sensor switched on so for 300 miles it thought it had a flat so perhaps its logged a fault that may need wiped before it can reset it self like like mentioned prior

Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Site Moderator

I have never seen an orange one, but they might have changed it since i have worked at the dealer. Its definately possible it needs to have the faults erased at the dealer real quick so they can be set correctly.