AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Upcoming Timing Belt Job And Quite Nervous (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/upcoming-timing-belt-job-quite-nervous-177915/)

Kite09 01-06-2012 02:44 AM

Upcoming Timing Belt Job And Quite Nervous

My timing belt kit (enhanced version), and tensioner arm came in from Blauparts, and my brother and I plan on taking on this monster task on Monday. To be honest I am quite nervous. He has done timing belts on Hondas, Chevys, and Fords but never an Audi. I've never done a timing belt job at all, but know how to use a wrench and read the included instructions. Does anyone have any advice they can give me to put my mind at ease? BTW it is an 04 2.7 A6

OGBULLYLOCDAWG 01-06-2012 04:20 AM

Screw this up and you can kiss your motor goodbye.

OGBULLYLOCDAWG 01-06-2012 04:32 AM

kidding... lol

I DIY'ed the job on my 2.8 -- knew nothing outside of changing brakes (I screwed that up the first time I did it) and I managed to get it done.

With the help of your brother, you should be fine. As long as you're using the crank locking pin & cam lock bar, you really minimize the chances of screwing anything up timing wise.

I've heard/read about Blauparts included instructions & folks mention it's pretty spot on.

---------------
  • You should have the all the parts & tools that you need with that kit
  • You have a family member helping you that knows their way around cars
  • Step-by-step Instructions
  • Great Resources like audiforum with great members willing to answer any questions

You're good to go, Bruh.

sttrebo 01-06-2012 08:36 AM

I did my '03 4.2 myself. my advice: take a couple of days off work so you have plenty of time. just go slow and methodical and check your work. it's actually technically easy to do the tb job, just alot of steps. DON'T RUSH.

02A6Beau 01-06-2012 09:55 AM

^^^^

exactly what those guys said. With you and your brother working on it together you should be just fine. everything is pretty straightforward. I can turn a wrench and consider myself a pretty intelligent person (all evidence to the contrary) but I'm by no means a mechanic and I really didn't have too much trouble when I did mine. the biggest PITA is all the sh!t you have to take apart to get to the components you want to change. be sure to schedule a few "mental health" breaks. if you get into trouble/stuck, we will be here ;)

NH_USA 01-06-2012 01:05 PM

Use the cam bar and locking pin

Take pictures of everything as you take it apart!

Place all the parts on a table and keep them in order.

Did I mention using the cam bar and pin?

Kite09 01-06-2012 02:44 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate that. I just don't have the money for the cam locking tools. So that does make me a bit nervous. We have all day Monday to do this though, so we start at about 9 probably finish at midnight.

OGBULLYLOCDAWG 01-06-2012 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kite09 (Post 1356796)
Thanks guys I appreciate that. I just don't have the money for the cam locking tools. So that does make me a bit nervous. We have all day Monday to do this though, so we start at about 9 probably finish at midnight.

:confused: alright.. that's a little risky.

The tools are a little under $100

You could have sacrificed the valve covers/seals for now (and a few other optional goodies included in that enhanced kit) -- especially if they aren't leaking (but on a C5 A6, I doubt it).

Audi C5 A6 Quattro 2.7T > Engine > Timing > ES#2576 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate - 078198479 V2TT
+
Audi Volkswagen VW Camshft Alignment Tool Set A4 A6 S4 Passat V6
+
$25 for Gallon of G12 @ the dealership and like $10-15 for the front accessible cam & crank seals (could have just added those onto the the kit from ECS since it's free shipping.

And still be within' the price range you spent on the enhanced kit. That would you could always go back and do the rest of the seals/valve covers without having to remove the front end again.

I know what's done is already done. But it would have made things less risky.

Good look though, There's a couple folks that have accomplished it without the special tools, I wish you the same success.

hxgaser 01-06-2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kite09 (Post 1356796)

Do you want to risk doing it twice? Get the tools, including the crank lock. Don't forget to loosen the cam sprockets before pre-loading the timing belt tensioner.

Kite09 01-06-2012 10:03 PM

I have a few mild leaks coming from the cams, that's why I got the enhanced kit. I do have another person helping as well, he taught my brother how to do timing belts. So, maybe two of us can hold onto the cams while removing the belt so they don't shift or we can come up with a way to lock it.