Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvoline drained my tranny during an oil change and lied about it

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Default Valvoline drained my tranny during an oil change and lied about it

Two weeks ago I got my oil changed at a valvoline instant oil change like I always do. I ONLY WANTED AN OIL CHANGE.I knew something was wrong when the guy didn't know how to open my hood after I released it. They were passing wrenchs down and didn't seem to know what was going on.

So I leave the oil change and my tranny all of the sudden seems to be slipping. I return to the oil change location in the morning asking what they did because the tranny is skipping. They say nothing was done and that they couldn't even get into the tranny pan. I took the car into my local dealer and the first thing asked whenthey called to inform me of the situation, "Did you recently have an oil change?" I said yes and that is when this occured.

The dealer informed me that the Tranny Fluid had been drained,never refilledand when they pulled the plug, a mear drop came out. They had to flush and add 3 quarts of fluid back to the transmission.

What is my course of action for the negligence of Valvoline. I know that I am requesting the $200.00 for the service plus a refund of the $48.00 oil change, but can I pursue this further for loss of time and emotion distress. I am furious about this. Thank you for all of your opinions.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Valvoline drained my tranny during an oil change and lied about it

I would talk with their management and if you are unable to resolve this dispute contact a lawyer and see if they will take the case. Personally my biggest concern would not be the 200.00 dollars but what long term damage was done while you drove the car until the dealer filled the transmission back up. It is possible the transmission will lunch itself a lot sooner than expected. You can't drive it with no fluid, or very low fluid for any period of time without damaging something. But there had to be some fluid left in there otherwise you would not have been able to move at all, or at least not very far.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

Def a testimonial for changing your own oil... Although they did a fully synthetic oil change including the 7 quarts of oil for only 48 bucks??

Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

I dont get it.. so they changed (drained the "motor oil") --> does this mean they overfilled the engine with oil, cuz they really didn't drain the oil. Or did they not change the oil at all and just charged you for draining your tranny oil?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

The first course of action is to notify the management of the franchise or outfit which serviced or disserviced the vehicle. Make sure that they are aware of the laxity and their failure to perform there end of the agreement which caused an interruption and inconvenience (financially), in your life.

Furthermore, you incurred costs related to the tortfeasor’s failure to perform the proper standard of care required by law. Under the Law of Negligence a “special damages†claim; you are awarded for a loss that can be determined and documented, such as losses incurred by the negligence of the mechanic. (e.g. towing invoice if applicable and dealership invoice) Make sure you have the work order from your dealership and have them note on the work order the reason why the car came to them. (Have the dealership point the finger at the valvoline station.) This is very viable in proving your case. If it must come to litigation. They will have no choice but to reimburse you for all your incurred costs relating to the problem they caused.

NO, you cannot get anything else. Remember, they have lawyers to, probably very profound ones at that. They probably have a little more money than you. You drive an Audi, remember. Lol.

Good luck man!

Cheers
E

Temple University
Beasley School of Law
2Y

Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM
2nd Gear

You prolly didn't do too much damage after only 1 day. How many miles did you put on after the Valvoline change till the dealer? You had at least 4-5 quarts of fluid in your TQ alone. It takes a special pump to fully flush the system. You had enough fluid to prevent heat damage and lubrication failure but not enough to engage all the clutch packs in the tranny (slippage). Long term, yes, this would cause huge damage. Short term, not that bad. I would still be all over Valvoline like flies on s**t and like the lawyer said.... Make the dealer point the finger at Valvoline and document EVERYTHING....

--Good Luck

Old 10-11-2007, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Well I have a similar story, my girl friend brought her car to Jiffy Lube for and oil change and a coolant flush. The guys did the work and off she went. While driving the car started hesitiating and then locked up and over heated. Found out later that they didn't put any oil or coolant back in the car. They ended up fighting it in court but in the long run Jiffy Lube paid for a rebuilt motor and other damages including towing. So I would bring them to court on it.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM

I had the same thing happen to me in August. They drained my tranny fluid instead of the oil and then added more oil on top of it. I went back and they said they did nothing wrong. It took me almost 6 weeks to get it to an Audi dealership and they said that is what happened. They had to drain the extra oil and add tranny fluid. I was so mad and of course the oil place is denying it left and right. I thought my car was toast.

My $25 oil change turned into a $300+ visit to the dealership. UGH! I will be selective about who I go to now. I think I might only go back to the dealership.

I could take them to small claims court if I wanted to. They are supposed to get back with me. I am not holding my breath.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Write a few letters to headquarters and regional manager and see what happens. In these situations I find everyone does everything except what needs to be done, ie they post messages, make phone calls complain to granny, the postman and bore the he11 with the same story over and over. Just a write a letter, send it certifed mail.Again real simple, A, B and C happened. Please reimburse me$X forthecostsI have incurred.
Then when they ignore you some more file an action in small claims court. That notice will be sent to a corportate attorney, and they may authorize payment. If not thengo to court and win your case. Collecting on your judgement is different story.