Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird ABS/Traction light on... and DTC 18034 and 17861

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear
Default Weird ABS/Traction light on... and DTC 18034 and 17861

I was wondering if any of you had experienced the following and/or knew what the causes might be.

1- I do NOT have a CEL light. Haven't had one
2- Car runs normal, no issues with shifting nor acceleration... NO limp mode nor misfires.... Would not know there is a potential issue if not for the following...
3- Only noticeable issue is that when I turn the key to the ON position and without starting the car [I usually wait a couple of seconds, lights on the dash usually come off.... then start the car] sometimes the ABS and Traction Control lights stay on and would stay on even if I start the car.
4- So once the key is on the ON position,IF the ABS and TC lights stay on, instead of starting the car, I turn the key back to OFF. THen turn it to ON again, wait a couple of seconds and the ABS and TC lights go off as they should. Always works fine the second time.

So anyway, it's been doing this for amonth + maybe but I was not concerned because the car runs great and I have had NO CEL. PLus I don't drive the car everyday most weeks. But I bought a VAG tool and had it in the car tonight when I started the car and those two lights stayed on when I turned the ignition ON. So I decided to run codes just in case even though Ihad no cell.

Two codes came up, though one is most likely unrelated to the above:

- Code 1, most likely related to above issue:
DTC 18034 Data-Bus Powertrain missing message from Transmission Control (Sporadic) (P1626)

- Code 2 I was NOT expecting this one and have no clue what it is given I have no cel lights and engine runs fine. Boost leak? EGT sensor.... whatever they are, temp sensors?
DTC 17861 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 1 - G235: Open/Short to B+ (Sporadic) (P 1453)

I did search but did not find the same type of issues. I did find a few posts where some members had these DTC codes but combined with amany others and other obvious symptons I do not have such limp mode, car running poorly, misfires,...
I appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Weird ABS/Traction light on... and DTC 18034 and 17861

Just a note on the CEL, sometimes the computer will store codes without the light coming on. Not sure why it does this except it might think it isn't that big of a issue to turn the CEL on. Your first issue sounds like you might have a loose wire or a loose connector on your tranmission control. Could also be dirty. Unconnecting it and cleaning it with an electrial connector cleaner might help and then reconnect it. This could be your issue with your light that you are having. As for the other issue, you might have a bad wire or sensor (most likely sensor). The engine gas tempeature measures how hot your exhaust is coming from the engine. It tells the computer on how the engine is operating and if there is any problems with it. I hope someone here can shed a lot more light on your situation.