Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet Carpet in Passenger footwell

Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Wet Carpet in Passenger footwell

Hi,
could anybody suggest a likely cause of wet carpets in the passenger footwell (front).The carpet gets wet only when it rains.
Is there a common cause :- ie.....
1, windscreen seal ?
2, door seal ?
3, blocked drain holes,etc from (external grill under windscreen) ?
Any suggestions would be appreciated, there does not appear to be wet upper carpet leading to the footwell, just a wet bottom carpet.

Also please check out my other post about flashing interiorlights/they may be connected.

Thanks,
Andy G.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Wet Carpet in Passenger footwell

What I have found using the search

"There are two definate possibillities to the problem your having. Most probable cause is the pleanum drain under the battery, over time leaves and crap gets built up in the drain (under the battery) and fills up the pleanum until water just pours into the cabin through a body plug or the pollen filter housing.
The other possibility is the sunroof drains, but the failure with these are they don't get plugged up, rather they fall apart at the sunroof track. If this were the cause you would probably see water stains on one or more corners of the headliner. How you fix this is really easy, If you find a stain on a pillar somewhere what you need to do is remove the roof handles where the leak is present and pop down the headliner enough to where you can grab a hold of the sunroof drain and pull it off of the sunroof track. When you pull the drain off the track you should see a green hose (usually) with a white end, this is where the leak developes. The factory just super glues the white fitting onto the hose on each side which isn't a very good approch, what we do to fix this is we use a smal pick or screwdriver and pry off the white fitting from the hose. The we use a weather seal clear silicone (you can pick this up from an auto parts store) and coat the inside of the fitting and place it back onto the hose, let it dry overnight and re-connect it back onto the sunroof track. Really cheap fix to do it yourself, about $5 but the dealer will charge to remove the headliner $600 plus parts. So a DIY here is a real money saver."

Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

My guess is the clogged battery tray drain.

Here is a helpful post about how those get clogged:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/749420.phtml

Here is an additional post for reference on battery removal:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/728243.phtml

Old 01-02-2008, 02:38 PM

I received a recall notice a few weeks ago on my 2002 for clearing the battery drain and re-routing the hose. The notice also included a claim form for damages and/or repairs which were already done outside of an Audi dealer due to a clogged battery drain. May be worth a call to the dealership...

Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your repplies Gents, and thanks especially for the photo and descriptive links as to where the problem areas are, and how to access and clear the blockages (fantastic).
Looks like I aught to go to the gym for a couple of weeks in preparation for removing that battery, I had seen it hidden away in there previously,and commented that I would not like to have to get that out of there (a fine start to the New Year).
Best Wishes
Andy G.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

I washed my car yesterday and noticed the same thing!! Water leaking down the passenger carpet behind the glove box. I'll have to check the battery this weekend!!