AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   What to do with my A6? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/what-do-my-a6-122974/)

gmkane 01-16-2009 05:10 PM

I agree with hxgaser. No doubt about it. In Europe, as well as most places in the Middle East, Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys are considered "upscale" cars. Not in the MB/BMW/Audi league but just a half step below, due to the way they are usually packaged for the individual markets, content-wise. Service-wise, there is no comparison. My sister has a 2007 Accord sedan, really top of the line, and her husband has an I4 Accord coupe. I was really surprised at how stiff the sedan was. Really handles well and, with the V6, lots of power. Only thing to watch for on the Accord is to change the transmission fluid every 24,000 miles. I saw some documentation on the Web about transmission failures in Accords if the tranny fluid wasn't changed this often, and my sister’s dealer pretty much confirmed this. Not sure, but Honda might have some sort of "silent" warranty support on this issue.

jeffwantsaaudi 01-18-2009 11:19 AM

This post probably is just so you don't feel alone. I have a 2000 A6 4.2 with 180k miles. Both cooling fans just quit and, after paying for diagnosis, found out that the belt tensioner is failing so the waterpump isn't turning. That of course means, if you're going to dig into the tensioner, you might as well do the waterpump and timing belt. $2,300 cha ching. Then found out a rattle I've been hearing is the forward catalyst disintegrating inside the housing - changing both sides: pricey - $2,100. The forward control arms are dying for a couple more hundred and the right side forward O2 sensor is dead for about $385. Finally (I think), the power steering pump is making a $745 noise. All told, to fix the things I know about is around $8,100 and the car is KBB valued at about $8k. I am currently looking at a 2006 A6 4.2 with far fewer miles and a lot of warranty left on it.

I feel your pain.

PS - check into service intervals before buying. MB requires A and B services every year and they aren't cheap and you can find maintenance schedules for almost every car on Edmunds.com. If you want to consider American, think about the Pontiac G8 (Australian) or the Chrysler 300C (much of it is MB German). Both have great engines and are fairly well priced these days.

djez016 01-18-2009 12:11 PM

500 for t belt ??? where???? every one tells me it cost twice that

bob martin 01-19-2009 07:46 AM

I vote for #3 as well. Now IS the time to buy a house, if you can get a loan. Prices are down and interest rates are as low as they have ever been. You can always buy an Audi when the wife graduates.

You need front control arms. That will take care your alignment issues. $550 DIY.

Where did you get a T belt and W pump done for $500????????

The Accord came in a wagon. If you really want one, shop AutoTrader in Columbus Ohio.

Bob

ppgoal 01-19-2009 11:14 AM

Sell it for what you can (considering the market, you will lose money) and buy a nice 2-3 year old Saturn. Very reliable and very boring. Cheaper than a Japanese brand.

I'm surprised at all the issues you have had. I have just under 127k on mine and other than alternator and clutch/flywheel over the past 90k miles, it's been a reliable vehicle. Having said that, I probably jinxed myself.

gmatov 01-20-2009 01:52 AM

Only thing I might be able to help with is the pulling to the right. On my 90 100, had 2 shops align it. Neither could get the pull to the right, on acceleration, bob back to the left on deceleration fixed. Had one alignment shop/tire store, from whom I bought tires and got aligned, adjust the worn tires.

Found on my own, under the plastic cups over the shock towers, that the upper bushings were worn out. Replaced, realigned, went many thousands of miles on the new tires. They're about 25 bucks each. Maybe less.

jeff,

Where in the hell do you live? Hollywood? Your prices are astronomical. Tensioner failing should not make the waterpump not turn. Failing bearings in it would make it hard to turn and maybe squeal. Regardless, if you replace one, do the rest, as it is near the same cost, as they have to dao the same work, and it should be no more than a quarter that.

I had a complete aftermarket, make to fit, converter installed for 280. Take off, weld up and install. O sensor was 125, and plug in.

Belt, tensioner and idler are about 100 bucks, total, and the belt is Conti brand. You are being ripped off, big time. Many here are. Hey, You're driving an AUDI, you must have money.

Sorry for your pains.

Cheers,

George

freakaftr8 01-21-2009 03:21 AM

Im from Detroit.. My wife and I own 3 Audi's because I love the way they look and drive..(All black) Also had in the past a 98 BMW 540i (nothing but problems). A Lexus ES300 that grenaded a good trnasmission and then an engine from (toyota sludge) all within 150k. My Audi's have issues, Some more serious than others. I also own a Ford Explorer 1991 with 375k on it. It's had issues too. It really boils down to this.. All cars will have problems some time or other. If I knew that my 1999 A6Q might need a transmission replaced at the cost of 6000 to 8000 bucks than I would have probably parked it and drove my dads 1999 Ford Crown Victoria until it needed a transmission replaced at the cost of 3000 bucks.. Heck, my boss's 2003 Honda Accord EX grenaded an auto trans and it was 3000 to replace that too.

My point is.. If you have the cash to fix a broken car then buy the expensive to maintain car like an Audi or a Benz. Granted that they are a helluv alot easier on the eyes than a Ford that's used as a Taxi Cab. (although some new Fords look sexy).

There is nothing wrong with European, Japanese or American cars.. They all breakdown the same.

After all they are just a sum of thier used parts right...

Every car has or will develop some issue sooner or later.

freakaftr8 01-21-2009 03:31 AM

I would also like to add that when it comes time to replace that bad (BOSCH) electrical part on your Audi like lets say its an Idle control motor for lets say $600 (I may be far fetched here sorry, "but it's the point im making") then ok well great it's fixed...

Now go down the street and see if you can figure out Mrs. Jones's 2002 Ford Taurus and geez looks like the (BOSCH) Idle control motor went bad. Replacement from Ford $200.

All parts can be expensive but What the part suppliers dont want you to know is they are all built the same way with the same standards from the same company like Bosch. Bosch makes excellent parts but when installed on a European vehicle instead of an American vehicle prices go up!