Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the f now?!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: What the f now?!!

ORIGINAL: audijunky_1

I disconnected the MAF last night and no change. Next I am gonna change my plugs again. What are the best ones for this car. There are so many to choose from. I changed them about 2 months ago, about 2 weeks before all this started happening. I bought the middle priced range ones, single tip. I pulled #4 yesterdayu too and it was real sooty, like it is running rich. When I read the codes the frist one to come up was p0304 cylinder 4 misfire and then p0300 multi cylinder misfire. Should I clean my fuel injectors? I did a search on here and someone said they were having similiar issues and took it to the dealer and they cleaned their injectors and everything was fine???
First I would leave the injectors alone for now. Check the plugs. The original equipment plugs are NGK 2 prong type. Part number BKR6EKUB. Single prong plugs will work, but you have to make sure you have proper gap on those things.The gap setting is 0.032" to 0.035". I have had incidents on other cars where factory gap setting on the plug was off, and had misfire issues. Also, if you are not careful while inserting the sparkplug, you can bend the tip.

Many people have misconception thinking multi-prong plugs work better. It really does not. Multi prong plug just gives sparks to utilize multiple route and has longer life and durability. Also the metal affects the life as well.

Anyways, I have NGK 4 pronger. Part number BKR6EQUP. You might bewondering that I am a hypocrite for saying that multi-prong plugs don't work better than single prong and have them on my car.No, I have them for durablility reason, not for performance reason.

Check the sparkplug and see what happens. If it does not get better, then check for vacuum leak, then for plugged cat. I say eliminate possible issues that do not require you to spending money before going for injector cleaning and etc.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:34 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your advice, Last night I pulled out ye old benlty software manual. for the codes I was getting it was saying , ignition stuff and fuel delivery stuff. SO My coils andspark plug wires are good. They ohm out in the right range. Next I checked the cam position sensor. supposed to read 9v between pins 1-3 on the connectors and infinite resistance between all pins.( I am not sure if I am supposed to disconnect something some where else first but I was reading a short between 1-3 and 2-3 and about 1800 ohms between 1-2 for both connectors). I was getting 5v on both between 1-3, gonna check again with a different meter.So that may be an issue. well while I was doing this I noticed one of my vacuum lines had broke. It is the one that goes to the air resivoir for the vacuum system behind the drivers side headlight. So I reconnected it with some vacuum line tubing. Didnt know what it was for when I reconnected so thought that might have caused the problem. I decided to reconnect everything and see what would happen. I left off the passenger side timing cover, and air inlet tubing from the grill to the airbox. It ran alot better, CEL was not blinking( however I did not put it in gear). it stumbled a little but not near as bad as before. After about 1-2 mins. of idling it smoothed out , no stumbling at all.It revved good too, no backfiring either. the only thing I noticed was when it was at normal idle and I would step on the gas pretty good it would stumble at first before the rpms increased. At this point I think I may have fixed the issue. Earlier I had bought some new plugs Bosch Platinum-2 and firgured I would put them in. I Pull all the old ones put in the new ones, spray some electronic cleaner on the MAF for good measure while I got the top of the airbox off, put the air box, air boxsnorkle and coolant resevoir back in the right places start it up and its runnin like poopoo again. OK when it ran better, I had airbox installed but no snorkle thingie out to the grill, Autolite single tip plugs, small timing cover off on the passenger side. After replacing plugs with Bosch Platinum-2, and reinstalling the timing cover and snorkle thingie it ran like poopoo again. Make any sense to anyone out there????

Old 02-08-2008, 06:41 AM
1st Gear

Hey Bob , just saw your message, It was running like crap right off the bat, and never got better when warmed up. It cranks over 4-5 times before it starts, about the same as before all this started.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:45 AM
2nd Gear

Did you remove the snorkle "thingie" again? Did you look in it to see if it was plugged? Maybe a nice plastic trash bag in there....

Bob

Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

It was late last night, I'll check that out this evening. Any other guesses??

Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM
3rd Gear

That is really odd. Considering the circumstances, I say remove the air runner (snorkle thingy) and see what happens, too.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

I know it, I think I may have multiple issues. I am gonna take the snorkel thingie back off. If that doesn't change anything than I am gonna put the other plugs back in. Than I am gonna do this fuel delivery checks.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 PM

hmm the snorkel ill think aboutbut it sounds like a vacuum issue and its lost when you refit that snorkel so possibly a MAF sensor issue or blocked vacuum line check all vac lines are free and not twisted

Old 02-09-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

sometimes coolant sensors can cause misfires as well. Most of the time it will be a hard start but have seen some that cause random or multiple misfires. They are like $15 and worth replacing if you havnt already.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 AM
1st Gear

Allright then, this weekend I pulled all the injectors and the fuel pressure valve(thing attached to the fuel rail) and cleaned them all. . Not really dirty at all. I also replaced the fuel filter and vac line to the fuel pressure valve. So here is the problem. It idles OK it starts fine, it revs up ok, unless I really step on it than it backfires, but the poppingnoise is coming from the intake manifold??? It was weird,I thought it was coming from the exhaust at first, but when I opened the airbox to see if the filter was restricting the air flow, the "backfiring" got really loud, it was definetly popping in the intake. It also does it when there is a load on the motor ie in gear. This is driving me nuts. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge so I was unable to check that, but I figure the fuel pump is fine cause I dont think it would run if it wasn't. And I got a new fuel filter. Also I noticed my exhaust is spitting out this water and some black stuff. It left marks on my garage floor. It didn't smell like gas though. I am at a loss. I would take it to a shop but I am cheap andI dont want to hurt the engine i n case it is something serious. Anybody got any ideas??? I am pretty sure it is not the coolant sensor, it seems to be working fine.