Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7t Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7t Transmission issue

My son in law has a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7t 166000 miles on it.
Runs good but for some reason it does not want to shift from 2nd gear. Its an automatic transmission (triptronic ??). Car will go up to 50 - 55 miles per hour and still not shift. Any suggestions on what this may be and how to fix it? Where he is located, there are no dealers or transmission mechanics. (rural ND)

Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 AM
1st Gear

It may be stuck in limp mode. Basically the car gets stuck in 3rd gear until you can get it into a shop to get it checked. I'm pretty sure this mode can be cleared through VAG COM software but you may want to see if there is anything wrong with your transmission. When it happened to me it was my Transmission Range selector. The transmission mounts broke and something sliced through the cable. I was able to find an 8 Pin range selector from a wrecking yard put it in as well as new mounts and I was back in business. Not saying thats what happened to you but there are a number of things that can put you in "Limp" mode.

Hope that helped!

=Mac

Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Thank you, I told him what you said. He says it will also jump out of gear sometimes too. I think this started after he hit the rear end on a pole. didn't do much damage to the car but dent the rear fender but then this started. He is not mechanically inclined and lives so remote in ND that there are no Audi Dealers/shops

Old 04-02-2011, 04:22 AM
1st Gear
Smile

Have him VAG his car. If he is like me and doesn't have a VAG COM kit he can probably ask on these forums (or purchase one from Ross Tech). I'm sure someone in the area will VAG it for him. Using the VAG COM kit you can diagnose problems. It you see a issue for the transmission it will give you an indication (error code) on what's wrong. Then just research that issue to fix it. I posted to the forums and immediately 4 people replied saying if I wanted my car diagnosed they were willing to help me. That's how I found out what needed to be fixed and o was back up and running.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 AM
1st Gear

Forgot to mention, my transmission also jumped in and out Of 3rd gear. Usually when I accelerated hard it would go into limp mode then after a while it just stayed in limp mode.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

does the vag-com cable come with the software for my laptop to be able to actually talk to my car or is that something that is part of the ross tech stuff, I ask cuz my A6 intermittently wont start, currently experiencing this, whenever I move the shifter all the way down and then back into park usually it starts but today it did not, i think its the range switch, but due to the price of these parts I need to know for sure weither its the range switch or the multifuction switch on the trans

Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

if you want a vagcom buy a cheap vag-com interface from ebay. usually less than 20 dollars with the shipping and download the FREE vag-com lite software. its really helpful. and considering getting a diagnostic done by yourself for 20 bucks instead of getting it done by the stealership for 125 it'll pay for it in its first use.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by johngi01
Thank you, I told him what you said. He says it will also jump out of gear sometimes too. I think this started after he hit the rear end on a pole. didn't do much damage to the car but dent the rear fender but then this started. He is not mechanically inclined and lives so remote in ND that there are no Audi Dealers/shops
Just wondering what the outcome was regarding your transmission. I am having the same problem.
Regards, Oscar