Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Default wheels

I really like the look of 19's but I just dont want to have to deal with the problums that people have like the car shaking, vibration so on and so forth. If anyone has ideas of what wheels are trust worthy that would be great
thanks

Old 10-18-2006, 06:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: wheels

ORIGINAL: mberg

I really like the look of 19's but I just dont want to have to deal with the problums that people have like the car shaking, vibration so on and so forth. If anyone has ideas of what wheels are trust worthy that would be great
thanks
As far as the vibration and shaking you just need the wheels to be balanced properly. 19's will make the bumps on the road much more apparent, so ride quality is somewhat lessened.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear

Go for 18"s. Most people I know find the ride on those harsh enough. Going up from there detracts from performance (19" wheels weigh more), cost more (including higher cost for tires due to lower aspect ratio), have a much greater chance of getting damaged by a pothole, and give you a harsher ride. The upside? Bling. That's it. If you're willing to take all those hits for some bling, go for it. Otherwise, look at a good set of 17 or 18" wheels.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

I have 19's on my car and they are far from bling.

Is the ride rougher, absolutely, but they look good on my car!

Lets clarify bling.........Bling is a ghetto term........used by the hoods who put 24 inch chrome spinners on their f**king Escalade or Navigator.

19" silver or polished aluminum is not bling by any stretch of the imagination! Jusy stay away from chrome for the most part. If you search hard enough, you can find some

decent chrome wheels.

OOOO

[IMG]local://upfiles/13659/5E7CC935734B4CEA9320821B112C36C1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2006, 03:38 AM
2nd Gear

Bling is in the eye of the beholder - I know very well where the term comes from. I maintain my stance that 19" wheels on a C5 A6 are bling. IMO, when you are going for "a look" at the expense of performance and cost (think about where ELSE you can spend the money) you're in pursuit of bling. Let's not forget, OEM wheels were either 16 or 17" on this car.

If it works for you, great. Let's just not fool ourselves into thinking that this is about anything other than a look. It may not have chrome and spin, but the slammed and banded look has the same origins.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

Well Southboro,

Are you looking at the world through horse blinders? You are obviously one dimensional.

So our cars are designed for 16 or 17 inch wheels. Well, the RS6 has 18 inch wheels.

We all design our car for a certain "look" and I personally do it to make myself a little bit different then everybody else, just enough so I do not blend in with the crowd!

Maybe there are people out there who are fine with their perfomance as is and all they want is a "look".

Maybe there are people like me who want a little of both.

You have this crazy notion that if people stray from the norm a little bit that they are putting bling on their cars. You couldn't be more wrong.

I have a friend with a 911 that is slammed with 19" BBS. The ******* car is hot. Oh yeah, when he bought it, it wasn't slammed and it had 18" BBS. I guess this is bling to you as well.

Sounds to me that if it isn't to your taste or liking it isn't any good or "bling".

Open your eyes and see the real picture, because you are missing it completely!

OOOO

Old 10-19-2006, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

Well Southboro,

Are you looking at the world through horse blinders? You are obviously one dimensional.

So our cars are designed for 16 or 17 inch wheels. Well, the RS6 has 18 inch wheels.

We all design our car for a certain "look" and I personally do it to make myself a little bit different then everybody else, just enough so I do not blend in with the crowd!

Maybe there are people out there who are fine with their perfomance as is and all they want is a "look".

Maybe there are people like me who want a little of both.

You have this crazy notion that if people stray from the norm a little bit that they are putting bling on their cars. You couldn't be more wrong.

I have a friend with a 911 that is slammed with 19" BBS. The ******* car is hot. Oh yeah, when he bought it, it wasn't slammed and it had 18" BBS. I guess this is bling to you as well.

Sounds to me that if it isn't to your taste or liking it isn't any good or "bling". You make it sound like we do not use common sense.

Open your eyes and see the real picture, because you are missing it completely!

OOOO

Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
3rd Gear

Definitely go with 18's. I think they look better and the ride is better. I just put my 18's on and the ride is perfect and the wheels are plenty big.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear

I have stock 17" wheels with Pirelli's (all season used in the winter) and 18" wheels with Coopers (used in the summer). The 18's give a rougher ride than the 17's. I lost a Pirelli to a Detroit pothole last winter and a Cooper this summer to an air-loss that I could not confirm. It may have been a highway pothole since it was night and I was cruising. I did not know it had gone flat, since the ride never really changed, until someone flagged me down and I found the tire had three holes melted in it and was smoking. That scared me.

You'll pay more as you go to a bigger wheel and the ride is rougher as there is less aspect rubber to soak up the bumps. But there is no question that IN MY OPINION the bigger wheels look nicer. But I would stay away from 19s because of ride and risk of damage.

You're a scrappy bunch that likes to argue. Gotta love it!

2003 A6 2.7T 6-speed

Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear

Joeski,

You need to take a chill pill. At the very least, I suggest you try to keep the dialog respectful.

I never abridged your right to put whatever wheels you want on your ride. I just stated my opinion that I think 19" wheels are bling on a C5 A6. Why? Because it is NOT a functional (i.e., performance) upgrade on a C5 A6 for the reasons I've already listed (which you, interestingly enough, have not addressed). On a C6 A6 probably. On an A8 sure. On a 911, by all means. These cars can handle a wheel that large and still have a tire aspect ratio that is appropriate for the design specs of the suspension (ask your buddy with the 911 what aspect ration his tires are -- I'll bet a week's pay that its a higher aspect ration than you're running). You can fit those wheels on a C5 A6, but it will ride harsh as heck. It will also detract from performance due to the extra weight. Finally, it will cost more, both for the wheels and for the ultra-low aspect ration tires you'll need. So, we're back to it being a "look" thing. Which, I have ALWAYS maintained, is a matter of personal preference.

So, be happy with your 19"s. Enjoy them. Just don't get upset with me if I don't.

Peace.

Quick Reply: wheels