Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are the chips for an A6 3.0 ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Where are the chips for an A6 3.0 ??

I've looked at GIAC and APR, butcan't find chips for an '02 A6 3.0. It seems they have chips for every other late model Audi engine ever made. Any ideas for a source from a reputable company? I don't want to take a chance on a fly-by-night. Makes me wonder if there is something about the 3.0 engine that makes it un-chippable?

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:07 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Where are the chips for an A6 3.0 ??

Chipping any naturally aspirated engine produces very little benefit because you don't have as many variables to play with. Modifying the engine's control unit (what you're doing when you "chip") tweaks the software so that the control dynamics of the engine are changed in the direction of greater performance. In the case of a turbo charged engine, this means running additional boost and the attendant increase in horsepower. No turbos and your variables for improving performance are greatly diminished.

So... How about tweaking the suspension/wheels? Lots of fun to be had there... H-sport anti-sway bars, sport suspension/coilovers, and a nice set of light but strong wheels. ALL of these things can dramatically improve the performance of your car without chipping.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear

I understand the additional benefits ofchipping a turbo enginevs a non-turbo, but they do make a chip upgrade for the 4.2, which I thought was normally aspirated.

Regarding suspension and wheels - yes I am actively seeking a new set of wheels and tires. After I see how that feels I will determine if anything additional is needed. Coming from a BMW 5-series sport model, I don't want to give up too much of the Audi comfortable ride that was sacrificed in the BMW. What would be the next logicalsuspension upgrade to improve road handling after 17-inch wheels and lower profile tires?

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:14 AM
5th Gear

Yea there is probably a chip for the 4.2 but its not gunna give very big gains and Id go bigger than 17s man do at least 18's and lower it with some nice springs and struts and youll be set

Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

BadLuckAudi said it right on the chipping for the 4.2. Gains are not very big (a few HP). That engine is a rock and can be pushed a bit -- I'd be reluctant to push the 3.0 as much. That said, the primary benefit is probably the elimination of the speed limiter.

Unless you live where the roads are in great shape (no potholes), I'd stick with 17s -- particularly if you're concerned about ride quality. Unless you buy very expensive wheels (strong and light -- two things that don't go together unless you spend money at it), there is no performance gain (larger wheels weigh more) and the ride suffers (many people find 18"s harsh, MOST people find 19"s harsh). Do a search and you'll find MANY discussions on this particular topic.

After you've gotten your wheels, I'd go for either new sway bars or a sport suspension, depending on your budget and how your car is equipped. If you don't have the OEM sport suspension and have some budget to throw around, I'd suggest some Eibach sport springs and the new FSD shocks (see www.tirerack.com for details). These shocks offer the ride quality of a non-sport suspension but the performance of a sport suspension. Does so by detecting the frequency of the vibration to be dampened (FSD = frequency selective damping) and absorbing high freqency bumps (road surface irregularities) and being stiff for low frequency movements (leaning due to a turn). If that combo is too expensive for you, spring for some H-sport sway bars -- GREAT bang for the buck. Follow the link in my sig to my registry page and I point to a DIY on this if you're so inclined. The combo of both the sway bars and the new suspension would be KILLER. Of course at that point, you'd be wishing you had a 2.7T engine to power it all.

good luck.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Guy! That gives me a nice roadmap to work towards. I'll look into the FSD and springs!