AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Where is the relay for the fuel pump on a 2006 A6 3.2 sedan automatic? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/where-relay-fuel-pump-2006-a6-3-2-sedan-automatic-220665/)

gunnison 04-04-2016 11:07 PM

Where is the relay for the fuel pump on a 2006 A6 3.2 sedan automatic?

Here's what's going on. The car would not start, but would crank. Sounded like no fuel, so I checked the fuel pump under the back seat and it was not getting enough electrical power (1.4 volts) I used jumper cables to hook up a car battery straight to the terminals and the pump started working, and the car started. Therefore, I'm assuming its some kind of electrical fault between the ignition and the pump. Could you please tell me where to look for the relay, and the number stamped on it if all Audi's use the same number for each relay. Pictures would help a lot.

The only relays I have found, do not look like any I have looked up.

Thanks

gary

gunnison 04-10-2016 09:06 PM

Found it. By taking the very long road.

Yay!! I figured out what was wrong with the car. After more hours of searching the internet, subscribing to an online repair manual, and then using tin snips and vice grips to widen the hole of where the fuel pump goes, so I can check this thing called a 'fuel pump control module' {which seemed to checkout fine).... I happened to see some kind of button on the driver's door, down lower than halfway. The plastic holding the button was damaged, like someone had pried it. Anyway, the button (about one inch long by 1/2 inch wide) had a tiny symbol of what looked like a car being towed. The button had a tiny red LED which was lit. When I deciphered the picture, I almost new for sure that "it was in tow mode, and in tow mode the car must shut down the fuel pump (for what reason I have no idea). So all I did was push the button, the light went off, the car started right up (after I hooked things back they way they were). Now I'm putting the thing back together and cleaning it

A button. Simply a button. Had I read the owner's manual from front to back, I guarantee it would say something about a button, tow mode, etc.

Oh well, live and learn. At least it didn't cost me any money in parts. Ha ha ha

gunnison 04-11-2016 12:45 PM

Actually, maybe not. Car now runs awhile (1-5 minutes) then just dies. Sometimes will start back up sometimes it won't. Now looking into that.

RicksAUdi4.2 07-17-2016 07:54 PM

Easy, get a security torx bit (T27 I think) and undo the mass airflow sensor, it's extremely easy if you just take out the air intake box.

Take it out, and spray the hell out of it with Mass Air Flow cleaning. (spray the little diode looking sensor) Let it dry for 10-15 minutes and put it back together.

my car did this a few years ago, never had any problems since.

gunnison 07-18-2016 11:24 AM

OK, I actually did find the part that needed replacing. It was the fuel pump control module. It is located under the floor board metal but adjacent to the fuel pump. I used some cutters to get to the module, replaced it and it works fine. Thanks to everybody for reading and advising.