Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Noise during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Whining Noise during acceleration

2004 A6 2.7t S-Line with TIP. Car has approx 75k miles. I have had it for 40k. I have an odd whining noise that has started recently when I am accelerating. The sound gets higher pitched as the RPMs go up. This is under normal acceleration. No lights on the dash are on. Car appears to have normal acceleration. Any ideas what this could be? I was considering chipping the car this weekend but now I am not sure that it is a good idea. I know that it is time to replace the diverter valves and I have ordered the Bosch replacements. Could this be a sign of turbo failure?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Whining Noise during acceleration

Do you hear the whine when stationary? If you pop the trunk and rev the engine, can you pin down the source?

I notice some whining when I accelerate (and it's not my wife telling me to slow down), and I think it is just gear whine in my manual. I had the TB done including a new water pump about 15k miles ago. I'll check today, but I don't think I hear it when the car is not moving. I did notice a definite whining noise this past weekend, I think from the power steering pump, when I started the car in -5o F weather in Chicago.

I would think that if the turbos were so far gone that they were making noise, they would have failed and you would notice a performance difference. From what I have read, failed turbos also produce more smoke. Knock on wood, I don't have first hand knowledge of this problem.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Whining Noise during acceleration

I only notice the whinning when accelerating, not when the car is idling... The odd thing is that this only started about 2 weeks or so ago. Could this be a result of cold weather?

I want to make sure that it is in good working order prior to putting in the GIAC chip.