Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone that have a problem to get the first gear engaged in a automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Anyone that have a problem to get the first gear engaged in a automatic?

Hello
I have an Allroad Automatic 2.7, that does not engage first gear! The it drives just fine in all other gears, but not the first one..
Ok it is power enough to start in the second, but I'm worried that its going to take its "toll" on the second gear in the long run..
Anyone else with this problem, or alike?..
I read about all different kind of gear box problems, but not this kind..
I do have the standard display/LCD issue with the gauges as so many others.. (is there a connection between these two?)

Thanx folks

Old 06-06-2015, 11:15 AM
2nd Gear

This almost sounds like a torque converter / stater problem as the stater essentially multiplies the torque output when the car is stopped. Once it's going the stater essentially doesn't do any work.

You could check and see if the transmission needs fluid since essentially the fluid "drives" the unit to enable it to work. You will have to get the car lifted off of all 4 wheels and level while in the air. Then crack up the large allen head fill nut to ensure a little fluid comes out when the fluid is cold/warm. If none comes out, you might need to change the fluid and filter, and re-fill with new fluid. Be forewarned though: I've read of some people doing this is actually having it get worse, but those accounts are few and far between, and I question whether or not they correctly did the re-fill procedure.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:40 AM
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
This almost sounds like a torque converter / stater problem as the stater essentially multiplies the torque output when the car is stopped. Once it's going the stater essentially doesn't do any work.

You could check and see if the transmission needs fluid since essentially the fluid "drives" the unit to enable it to work. You will have to get the car lifted off of all 4 wheels and level while in the air. Then crack up the large allen head fill nut to ensure a little fluid comes out when the fluid is cold/warm. If none comes out, you might need to change the fluid and filter, and re-fill with new fluid. Be forewarned though: I've read of some people doing this is actually having it get worse, but those accounts are few and far between, and I question whether or not they correctly did the re-fill procedure.
Thank You for Your advice!