Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window and Window Switch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Window and Window Switch Issue

Hi, I'm a new member and have some questions concerning the window safety button and a stuck rear window on a 2001 Audi A6 Avant I purchased over the summer. Here’s what’s going on:
  • The window safety button on the driver side master window switch is always illuminated, unless held down. In my research, I’ve found similar cases of this, however:
  • The passenger-side rear window always works, while the driver-side rear window never works, regardless if the window safety button is pressed/held or left alone. It looks like a safety button fault typically stops both rear windows from working, not this.

I was hoping that the driver-side rear window was not working because there was a fault in the safety button, so I ordered a used window switch off eBay. I swapped them out, but the window safety button is illuminated and the rear windows behave the same as before. Did I just buy someone else’s broken window switch, or are my windows somehow causing the window safety button light to stay on? I plan on returning the part, but want to make sure it’s actually the part (as it’s doing the exact same thing as my original part).

What do you recommend for my next step in fixing the window that does not work? No window movement or sounds occur when pressing the buttons (master switch, or driver-side rear), so either the motor was burned out when I bought the car, or there’s something preventing the motor from running. Has anyone ever experienced something like this, where the windows exhibit opposite behaviors? Any help would be appreciated! Sorry if this is all disorganized—I just wanted to throw it all out there in case it’s all connected.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 AM
1st Gear

Does the window work when you use the window up/down feature holding the key in unlock/lock position in drivers the door?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

Nope, that window still does not work.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear

My window safety switch lock is also not working like yours. It stays illuminated and only disengages if you hold it down. I remember before that it actually stayed down but after years of abuse the little plastic hook inside gave up (actually took it apart) and you cannot "lock" the button anymore. So, I would say the part you bought is just as broken as the part you had in your car - sorry.
In regards to the rear window not even working with the driver's window switch - I'd say you might have a seized motor. The driver's window switches should work regardless of the window safety switch position. However, to be absolutely sure you would have to take the door apart and check for causes (is the motor connected? Does it get power? anything cracked or blocking the path?).

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mr.Gerb1k
Nope, that window still does not work.
Then I'd lean towards the motor or something not being connected. Does the switch/ashtray illuminate at night? Take the door apart, disconnect and reconnect all of the connectors, check to make sure you're getting power to the door. If you aren't, look for any breaks in the harness wiring harness coming into the door. If you are and the motor still isn't working, then I'd assume a replacement is in order.

Bad switch or not, the window should still operate with the use of the key in the door.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 09-26-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input. The door gets power (i.e. things are lit), so I'm thinking I have a seized/disconnected motor. I'll go ahead and return the POS window switch I got from eBay, then start looking into taking the door apart. Again, thanks for the help!