AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Winter driving (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/winter-driving-88314/)

Teutonic2.7T 01-18-2008 02:59 PM

RE: Winter driving

ORIGINAL: ppgoal

AWD does not = AW stop. As a long time 4-wheeler, Iearned that years ago with my jeep. It's still sad to see big SUVs go screaming past me on the interstate in a snowstorm and then later pass them in a ditch.

You have to drive carefully even with quattro, but it makes a huge difference. The ABS reduces slides but you have to allow extra distance to stop when the road is icey.
ppgoal, how are the conti's?? those are the same ones im looking for... consumer reports quoted them as a best buy... they're an ultra high performance all season... with snow traction as good as a standard dedicated winter tire... or so the review says. what is you're experience with the contiextreeme contacts?

Grelot 01-24-2008 12:51 AM

Im from Quebec city, Qc, Canada... and here we have a lot more snowfall than any state you want,,,, in here we know how to drive a car in winter season...first , like Daroshi tell us, put some good tires under your car.. you will be a lot more safer for everybody and for you... secondly, if you want to go fast with a AWD in poor condition.. when you drive by a deap snow ,,, dont push on the brake pedal like an unexperimented driver.. do it the other way... push alittle bit more on the gas and the car will automaticly take is position on the snow... if your pushing on the brake pedal.. you're dead!!
and finally, dont ever overvalue the traction of a AWD... in other words be more aware of your capacitys than you car.

Grelot
2000 A6 2.7T M6T

Burzum 01-24-2008 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ppgoal

AWD does not = AW stop.
All cars have 4 wheel stop [sm=trust_me.gif]But I know what you mean.

ungawa 01-24-2008 09:07 AM

I already know the answer to this I think... but I just want to hear it out of someone else's mouth.

My wife has an 03 A4 Avant (tip). She's under the impression that she can have better braking in snowy conditions if she uses the tip to downshift. I told her to use the brakes instead since they have ABS. If she 'over-downshifts' in snowy conditions, there's nothing to stop her from slipping... right? (Say she's going downhill on a curve) She's basically found the one way to render traction control and her ABS useless... right?

Teutonic2.7T 01-24-2008 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: ungawa

I already know the answer to this I think... but I just want to hear it out of someone else's mouth.

My wife has an 03 A4 Avant (tip). She's under the impression that she can have better braking in snowy conditions if she uses the tip to downshift. I told her to use the brakes instead since they have ABS. If she 'over-downshifts' in snowy conditions, there's nothing to stop her from slipping... right? (Say she's going downhill on a curve) She's basically found the one way to render traction control and her ABS useless... right?

what your wife is doing is right... ABS and Traction control are still functional in Tip.

as Grelotsaid;" dont push on the brake pedal like an unexperimented driver.. do it the other way... push alittle bit more on the gas and the car will automaticly take is position on the snow... if your pushing on the brake pedal.. you're dead!! "

I totally agree with Grelot... as that has been my experience as well.

ungawa 01-24-2008 10:09 AM

But let's say, just to illustrate the point... that she's going 60 and uses the tip to shift into 2nd on black ice. The traction control isn't going to be doing it's job... right? The tires are bound to lose it's grip on the road. It's not going to disengage the drivetrain and allow the wheels to speed up over the gearing of 2nd. AFAIK the traction control will only break wheels to keep them from spinning... not speed them up. (but then again I am new to Audis) And the ABS will only release the brakes if they're slipping.

Not new to snow driving. I've lived in northern New England my entire life. I know there are times to use gas.. and time for brakes. But if you're simply trying to slow down... saying "step on the gas" doesn't apply... "step on the gas" is for "oh crap I've already lost control of my car and I need to regain it".

hxgaser 01-24-2008 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: ungawa

But let's say, just to illustrate the point... that she's going 60 and uses the tip to shift into 2nd on black ice. The traction control isn't going to be doing it's job... right? The tires are bound to lose it's grip on the road. It's not going to disengage the drivetrain and allow the wheels to speed up over the gearing of 2nd. AFAIK the traction control will only break wheels to keep them from spinning... not speed them up. (but then again I am new to Audis) And the ABS will only release the brakes if they're slipping.

Not new to snow driving. I've lived in northern New England my entire life. I know there are times to use gas.. and time for brakes. But if you're simply trying to slow down... saying "step on the gas" doesn't apply... "step on the gas" is for "oh crap I've already lost control of my car and I need to regain it".

Yes and no on using tip to slow down imho. Engine braking is good as long as you do not make an abrupt change. So if you stick it into 2nd while doing 60MPH, you will kick up the RPM fast, and your tire will loose tracking for sure on black ice or snow. Idea is to gradually slow down without changing the cars momentum drastically. In that case, in theory, it works the same with ABS as the engine braking right? Not exactly in my experienve. When the road is really slippery, I usually notice at least one wheel locking up while braking with ABS. Computer for some really can't really deal with the ice and lock up the wheel. You notice that typical ABS clicking noise and vibration on the brake. But in this situation, lets consider that I was driving about 20 mph on 4th gear. At 1200 rpm or so if not lower. I just down shift to 3rd. It gets me to 1500 rpm and applies enginer braking. Once I get down to 1000 rpm or so, I down shift again. and again and so on. During thing entire process, my wheels were always in contact with the pavement and never lost any traction, unlike using ABS.But once again, using this kind of downshift to slow down takes long time to stop.

As for the comment about what to do if you loose traction, my answer would be NOTHING. Just point the wheel straight, and do nothing. No brake, no gas. The car will automatically true itself out.

I am just saying this out of my experience and it may be wrong on some situation. But overall, you just need to slow down in the snow.

euro_2nr 01-24-2008 11:49 AM

Use common sense and Quattro and ABS will take care of the rest... tip does help though. Using more compression on the engine is less strain on your pads and rubber. I was looking to get a set of Blizzaks but ran out of time because in Chicago its been
Quattro heaven! Got 2 more inches last night. But right now its -35 with the windchill. Im hoping for 1 more 6"+ blizzard before spring shines in.

ungawa 01-24-2008 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: hxgaser

Yes and no on using tip to slow down imho. Engine braking is good as long as you do not make an abrupt change. So if you stick it into 2nd while doing 60MPH, you will kick up the RPM fast, and your tire will loose tracking for sure on black ice or snow. Idea is to gradually slow down without changing the cars momentum drastically. In that case, in theory, it works the same with ABS as the engine braking right? Not exactly in my experienve. When the road is really slippery, I usually notice at least one wheel locking up while braking with ABS. Computer for some really can't really deal with the ice and lock up the wheel. You notice that typical ABS clicking noise and vibration on the brake. But in this situation, lets consider that I was driving about 20 mph on 4th gear. At 1200 rpm or so if not lower. I just down shift to 3rd. It gets me to 1500 rpm and applies enginer braking. Once I get down to 1000 rpm or so, I down shift again. and again and so on. During thing entire process, my wheels were always in contact with the pavement and never lost any traction, unlike using ABS.But once again, using this kind of downshift to slow down takes long time to stop.

As for the comment about what to do if you loose traction, my answer would be NOTHING. Just point the wheel straight, and do nothing. No brake, no gas. The car will automatically true itself out.

I am just saying this out of my experience and it may be wrong on some situation. But overall, you just need to slow down in the snow.
Gotcha. [sm=smiley20.gif] It's that abrupt change and more extreme rpms and speeds that I'm worried about her using the TIP in. A situation where you may be rounding a bend going too fast on ice... I'd rather take my chances with the brakes than try my hand at downshifting the tip which I have relatively little control over.

I think my initial question is answered though. The traction control won't save her if her crime is downshifting too aggressively on ice. The traction control only helps on acceleration. And ABS only helps on braking. There's no gizmo on the audi that keeps your wheels from sliding if you're downshifting too aggresively. So yea, her usage of her tip to slow herself is the only means by which one can defeat Audi's efforts to keep us safely on the road. Am I making any sense?

Teutonic2.7T 01-24-2008 01:08 PM

no, you don't make sense... you're wrong and your wife's right. suck it up...