Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter driving in my A6

Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
3rd Gear
Default Winter driving in my A6

The last couple weekends have been pretty snowy in Michigan. Two weekends ago I drove from Flint to Sarnia ON after a 6" snowfall. The side roads weren't clear and I69 was two ribbons of black ice and the rest packed snow and slush. I had to drive 50-60 mph on the interstate for about 30 miles. I reset my computer and got 30.2 mpg which means it was really closer to 28 mpg. Still, not bad for cold weather and snow. I just don't have the patience to drive that slow when the roads are dry.

This past weekend was a winter white-out - 40 mph winds blowing snow across I96 on my 180 mile drive from Detroit back to Holland. Lots of cars off the road but the Audi was rock solid. It never had traction problems, although I decided to drive in the left lane on a couple inches of snow instead of on the icy ribbons in the right lane. That had the added bonus of letting me blow by the traffic dawdling along at 30 mph. The Audi had no problems handling the snow at 50-65 mph.

Bar none, the Audi is the best car I have ever driven in bad winter weather conditions.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Winter driving in my A6

I agree with you there, I can not stand driving so slow when our Audi can handle most of these conditions. The only time I will drive slow in my A6 is in residential areas because you never know when some idiot is going to pull out of the driveway or take a stop sign at will. Although it is very nice to pass up traffic freely because most will stay out of the left lane and drive in the middle or right. The only car that was able to keep up with me was a WRX, which when we came to a stop sign I did not try to egg him on or anything but he showed off by launching when it turned green.[sm=smiley21.gif]

Old 02-12-2008, 12:29 AM

Drove up for a ski trip in very snowy conditions on the highway and on the rural roads.
The Audi is plenty of fun up there and solid as a rock, I was actually surprised at how awesome quattro was in those turns.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 AM
2nd Gear

The car is awesome in the snow. Iget frustrated when I get stuck behind a car that does not do well in the snow.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Same here...[8D]

Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

ya i live in denver and drive to breckenridge twice a week. The quattro is frekin amazing! When i get stuck behind cars spinning their tires going 15mph, i can floor it past them without loosing traction! Peace out suckers

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

it was all snow and ice in ny last night, i had a 2 hour drive from ny to ct and my A6 was solid..... i witnessed 4 accidents. One of them was a pathfinder, he was the one who shot wayy ahead cutting everyone off...as i and a few others alternately held the lead... (the pack all had 4wd and we were going fast, but giving each other enough space for breaking room) twenty minutes later i found him driving miss daisy, with his hazards on, humbled, with the left side of his car shredded from the center divider. I don't mean to be a d*&k, but i couldn't help but think that he got what was coming.

Also, when i hit the bronx (i think.. maybe it was closer to new rochelle) i saw a red A4 2.0T stuck against the center divider .. if you're on this forum...you stopped and had your hazards on. i almost hit you as well as everyone behind me, what a mess you made. I felt bad for you brother, you must have been sh*tting youself. i narrowly avoided you, but i don't know if anyone else did... however they were going slower than me. tough luck, but how the f*&k did you get yourself in that mess?! did you get out unscathed?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

I love how well my Audi handles in the winter. Handles awesome! Here in town we have a couple overpasses that go over the train tracks, and people will be sliding all over the place! Except for me that is heh. Ill take it perfect! There was an Eclipse that thought he was all bad and was spinning out purposely to show off and he went up one of the overpasses and stopped traffic as he slid sideways and spent 6 mins trying to get up the bridge. Most of the traffic behind me had the same problem: as soon as they were stopped they couldnt get going again! I just smiled as I took the ice no problem.

TopGUn86: I cant floor it past anyone in the snow and ice because I start spinning all 4 tires lol. I spin all 4 on pavement if im turning! I know whatcha mean about passing everyone though lol.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

After driving everything under the sun (I work for a dealer), the audi by far is the best car I have ever driven in the snow. Well, accelerating in the snow. Stopping seems to be quite a chore. Maybe I should have bought some winter tires...