Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper stalled in the middle of windshield and cannot move back to its initial position

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Wiper stalled in the middle of windshield and cannot move back to its initial position

Car info: 2001 A6 2.8Q 30V

Issue:
I started wipers and it moved slowly like a turtle and then stalled in the middle of the windshield. I tried to turn off the wiper movement but it never went back to its original position. I also tried to push manually to bring it down to its original position which I was able to do it after some effort. Does anyone know the issue with my wiper system?

I talked to couple of dealers and they both gave me different reasons:

Dealer 1: My wiper motor must have gone. I asked him then how come it moves when I turn on the car even though the wipers are off? He said, there might be some charge left in it so that it moves everytime I start my car

Dealer 2: This dealer is almost certain that this might be "Wiper Transmission". He told me that it is highly unlikely that the motor stops working but it might be the wiper transmission..

Both wipers don't work.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Wiper stalled in the middle of windshield and cannot move back to its initial position

Thats funny, my 2001 2.7T has the very same problem right now... Its slow as hell and sometime the wipers would just stop.

What do you guys think? Is it 100% sure its the wiper motor?

What is this "transmission" crap all about?

Cheers,

Zabba

Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Wiper stalled in the middle of windshield and cannot move back to its initial position

On my old car, same exact thing happened. i bought a wiper motor at a junk yard and it fixed the problem. They wear out over time i guess! go figure, mine quit in the middle of a horrible storm. i had to pull over.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Hey,

The transmission is the arm that moves the wiper. It's like a human arm. The elbow of the transmission arm sits on the motor. My problem was fixed by replacing the motor.

This is what happened. The arm (transmission) does not have that much lubrication so when time passes by, it tends to get jammed up because of rusting. My mechanic had to go through drilling to get that damn thing out of the motor. Because the arm was jammed, the motor was trying to move the wiper and it just got out of juice and got burned out.

I am sorry my friend, but you have to change the wiper motor.