Audi A7 Athletic, elegant and dramatic, the Audi A7 is a five-door coupe with the graceful look of a benchmark luxury sedan.

A7 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

After working and owning German cars since 1972, I always shake my head when German car makers advertise the superiority of German engineering. After reading the posts above, I feel justified in my skepticism. They are very nice to drive when everything is working properly, but the problem is that they won't stay in that state for long. If bought new, at least there is the warranty to help, but if out of warranty, you are on your own. Parts are way overpriced, and finding some one that can fix these overcomplicated cars can be very frustrating.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 PM
1st Gear
Default A few bugs but happy overall

I've had my A7 for 5,000 miles and overall I love the car despite a few glitches. Coming from a 335i coupe sport and Z4M, I needed a sedan and couldn't resist the looks of the A7. Never a problem with either BMW. Still have the Z4M.

In the first 5,000 miles I've had a tail light that was intermittent because it wasn't grounded properly, the airbag weight sensor switch in the passenger seat failed and I had a rattle in the passenger side speaker which was annoying if I was listening to anything with low frequency bass.

Dealer has been very responsive, fixed everything quickly and provided nice loaner cars.

Definitely not acceptable for a $70,000+ car, but you can think about it this way. It's like having a really hot girlfriend. You have to put up with a few flaws but it's worth it.

Hopefully BMW will de-uglify the 5 series next round.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

I bought my Audi A7 in June 2011 - it now has 5,000 miles on it. Yesterday I was an hour from home and when I pulled onto the interstate, the steering system malfuntion alarm came on. It said I can continue to drive. I pulled off at the next ramp and looked in my owner's book. It said if the light was red, do not drive, but if yellow, I could continue to drive.

I'm a gal (if that matters) and that drive home at 70 mph was one of the most intense drives of my life. I was praying the malfunction light would not change to red and that nothing would happen.

Drove the car straight to the dealer, he "downed" my car (declared it not drivable) and gave me a loaner car. He just called, the tech talked to Audi and they said replace the whole steering bracket (I think that is what he called it). They are overnighting the part and I should have the car in a day or 2.

The last time I drove it on an hour trip, twice the light came on saying that the sensor (which detects when you are too close to another vehicle) was curently not available. We paid $80,000 for the A7 with all the bells and whistles. Agree with the earlier poster that a car this expensive should not be having issues.

I have a 2005 Audi A6 that I use for every day driving. It has been the greatest car. Since it now has 95,000 miles on it, I have ordered a new A6. Hopefully it will be as good as the old A6.

Not sure if I will ever totally trust the A7 again. Will have to let it be my hubby's car (he is a pick-up man). I believe 2011 was the first year for the A7. Lesson to be learned - don't ever buy a car the first year it comes out.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

losh1700
Sounds more like electronic glitch problems or overactive sensor, but shouldn't happen I agree.
However apart from the slight low speed resonance in my A7 (which apparently I hear easier more than most owing to a slight hearing loss - confirmed as I hear a similar resonance at times now on my Volvo XC70). My wife does not hear it on the passenger side now.
However the Audi has now done 8900 miles and apart from above oddity I've had no other problems at all. No glitches, no issues, nothing. The car is going great and I'm averaging around 38-40mpg with peaks of 44.8mpg on long trips.
I am also confident that my Dealer here in Scotland will remedy anything that might occur that shouldn't. They take great pride in their cars and an excellent Dealer.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

I feel for you and your A7 problems, seriously. Although I couldn't even come close to affording one being an Audi dealership tech. All the posts above are examples of why I'll no longer be an Audi tech in 4 months (going to an EXCELLENT indy shop for double the income, at least). You think it's bad as the owner having all those problems, imagine what it's like to us poor saps who "get paid" (ha, there's a good one!) to do our darndest to diagnose and repair them with the information available AND the parts available AND not starve in the process, AND not end up with an unhappy customer. I think one of the problems is sort of a cultural one. There's a big difference between German consumers and U.S. for example, but I don't think they (Audi) quite understands that sometimes. Just an opinion. Vent::::Any warranty work is a guarantee the tech doing it WILL lose money in the process as we all work flat-rape (rate).

As mentioned, the first year of any completley new car will have it's glitches. Someone mentioned an A6. It's the sedan version of the A7. Otherwise the two are 99% identical.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

The Audi A7 is the sexiest car I have driven till date..
Feeling weird as to the problems Maccari has told about the car..

Old 06-07-2013, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Just got my A7 a week ago and it's by far the best car I've ever had. I was driving a Lexus SC 430 that I had for 10 years. Of course, technology has changed in that time but I am a Techno-Geek and the A7 has all the technology bells and whistles.

The adaptive cruise control is one of the best features for long-distance driving I've ever had. REALLY nice!! It will even work in slow stop and go traffic. Sweet!

Being able to use Google Maps and download wirelessly directly to the car is very neat! Wife and I are planning a two week road trip from Florida to South Dakota in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

I finally have a minor problem with my 2012 A7. The MMI exhibits a slight grinding noise when it returns after engine turnoff. My dealer has ordered a new MMI, which will be installed about July 23 or 24. He has assured me that this is an improved version. Will keep you informed.
halp

Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Maccari
I got my Audi A7 in late December 2012 and immediately noticed a problem with steering. When turning the steering wheel there was some kind of notch, which was extremely annoying when you constantly needed to go over the notch turning from left to right and right to left. Several visits to audi service and finally they ordered a spare part (basically almost everything between the front wheels) from the factory and installed it. I was told this was the 1st such a problem in the whole world...
Another major problem was the gearbox malfunction. There was the alarm (yellow) indicating of the problem and saying that you can continue driving with limited functionality. Well, yes it was limited as some of the gears were lost. Again back to audi service where the car is still waiting for another spare part from Germany. Again, I was told this was the 1st such a problem in the whole world...
I would be curious to if anyone has experienced these problems too?
I've got the gearbox malfunction issue. Any idea what part the garage replaced? Garage I took mine to said they couldn't find a problem with it....a couple of days later and the issue is back!

Thx

Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Failure

2013 A7 Prestige, loaded. 10k miles. Transmission controller failed and car wouldn't go into gear. Towed to dealer and part replaced, took a week, drove home, turned it off, restarted and same problem. Towed to dealer and has been there for a month waiting for part. Not happy !!

Quick Reply: A7 Problems