AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   04 A8L mmi problems (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/04-a8l-mmi-problems-192062/)

spuskac 02-05-2013 05:04 PM

04 A8L mmi problems

well, whenever it rains heavily, i get issues w/ my mmi-radio...it blinks out and doesn't work, then after the water clears from where ever it's sitting - it comes back on, but the right rear speaker cracks & pops (whether the radio is on or not)! WTF
anyone else, have this issue?

jakematic 02-06-2013 10:01 AM

Check for water ingress over the equipment rack in the trunk.

spuskac 02-08-2013 11:02 PM

I've checked for water ingress but its dry as dry can be. I got it to work for a little bit the other day but it quit working an hour later. I've bought a brand new mmi unit and plugged it in and it still didn't work. I put the old one back in so I don't ruin the new one just to be on safe side. The old one still works every now and then.

aspen79 02-09-2013 06:54 AM

Any module in the "MOST" network (optical, fiber optic) can cause a problem with the MMI. Because all the data goes down the optical network through each module, any one of them can either block or corrupt the data. This causes various and sometimes weird concerns. These modules are behind the glove box, in the left luggage compartment area, in the floor pan (such as the telephone module), etc. Basically it's a big optical loop that relys on every module to fuction correctly. Starts at the Gateway module (behind the glove box) goes through the electrical control module, on to the telephone, then navaigation DVD drive, satellite radio, radio, Bose amp, etc, etc, etc. The MMI control panel is just a control panel and cannot cause the radio to cut out or speakers to crackle, etc. Probably doesn't help you much but thought I'd throw that out there anyways.

Don't take this as an absolute but, in my experience the most common module that causes problems is the Bose 6000 amp. It's the very top module on the luggage comp. stack. Doesn't have to have water directly on it, just damp or very high humidity conditions, or very cold (like below 0f).

jakematic 02-09-2013 11:36 AM

I agree with aspen79 - likely a MOST issue at this point.

You can diagnose with VCDS Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Optical Bus Diagnostics

aspen79 02-17-2013 09:48 AM

So, come up with anything on the MMI concern yet? Just curious.

spuskac 02-18-2013 09:19 AM

Yea sry I've been pretty busy. It ended up being something wrong with my bose amplifier. I ended up taking it somewhere and having it plugged up and looked at. I appreciate everyone for there help.

akassem 05-07-2015 08:47 AM

MMI stopped working on 2007 A8

I hope someone here can help. It seems that My 2007 Audi A8L got some water damage. During heavy rain, water built up in the garage and came up to the tail pipe. No water got inside the car at all – it is dry. However, when I got to the car I noticed two things:
1. The MMI is completely dead. The screen is in the open position and black. No radio, no navigation, none of the stuff on the center console works. However, when I do the 3- button reset, the MMI displays the reboot and nothing happens.
2. The service engine light is on
The car runs fine and I have no issues at all. All other electric/electronic stuff works fine. What is the likely culprit and is it an easy and inexpensive repair? Any recommendations and advice is much appreciated.