AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   1993 V8 Quattro (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/1993-v8-quattro-21972/)

timmyalex 12-26-2005 11:32 PM

1993 V8 Quattro

Hey there I'm very new here.. I consider myself an audi enthusiest. I've had several Audis, my last was an 87.5 special build coupe GT . Anyway to get to the point I am considering buying a 1993 A8? V8 quattro, it has 104000 miles 4.2L V8 auto and looks to be well cared for. My question is this: I need general info regarding power / torque specs , reliability , quirks, or any general info / owner stories. Thanks alot and I hope to get back into the game with this car..... thaks for your time. Also should I be posting this elsewhere? Too old for this forum?

TimmyaleX .........................................SBC...... ...................................

HansBlix 12-27-2005 12:26 AM

RE: 1993 V8 Quattro

Waitaminutehere............... Is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...spagenameZWDVW

timmyalex 12-27-2005 06:05 PM

yes, good eyes man.. so far I've found out in my own research that the 4.2 was , when new, rated @ 276hp.... and that the car is very heavy ie: 2 ton.... that the body is made of galvanized steel... and that perrformance off the line is sluggish but it is a great hi-way speed car... is this stuff factual so far?

HansBlix 12-27-2005 07:56 PM

I have to agree with the description on that eBay page - that thing's definitely a "collectible". Do you plan on driving it much? Have you seen it in person, or is this all strictly over eBay? Just IMO, the V8 is not the kind of car to buy over eBay. You have to REALLY make sure everything is okay, really look at the body everywhere to check for corrosion, even though that's still no guarantee that anything won't go right after your hand over the cash. Look over the CarFax report carefully and see if it's been serviced on time, how many owners its had, etc.

One of my friends in Moscow had one, MY GOD was it unreliable! I think he spent close to $5K a year just keeping it running. I think a comparison with a 750iL of the same vintage would not be inaccurate. The V8 is a pretty complex car, and seeing as how this one is loaded it'll be a full time job keeping the electrics in order. The bad news about the relatively modest mileage is that in the next 20K miles (statistically) a lot of major stuff is gonna pack up and leave. The somewhat good news is that there's a lot of spares out there, so if you're a DIY kind of guy you're in luck. I think it's hit or miss with these things, you either get a solid example or just another used German barge that's been mistreated.

I do love seeing the V8s in traffic, the V8 drivers smile at my A8 and I smile back at their V8s. They were great cars in their time, but it's no picnic keeping them going 13 years down the road.

skidemon 12-29-2005 09:59 PM

I have an 1994 V8 Quattro. Got it from the original owner w/ 43K on her. It is an excellent car. Goes through heavy snow with no problem. As previously posted, it is best adapted for high speed highway driving, however, with new struts and perfromance tires it does very well on winding roads. Problems I have had thus far: dash lights and power steering pump. The car is very safe and the tranmission cooler preserves the HP that BMWs will eat up. Potential problems with the V8Q - trans, leaking rack, and electrical.

btobsharpe 01-22-2006 05:07 PM

I have a 90 V8 with 175K. Do the timing belt and make sure there is proper amt of fluids in the trans and rear end (shops don't like to check the rear end, tough to get to). Watch out for curbs that are a bit high (don't want to mess up the oil cooler, very spendy parts!), DON'T overheat that most wonderful all-aluminum hemi style high compression motor! Alway premium gas. Make sure the oil change place puts enough oil in it!

Best car I have ever owned and I have had a lot of cars (5 were also Audis)

gapa8 01-27-2006 07:29 PM

For any of you considering buying Audi V8 Quattros, you may want to visit this guys place. He seems to be pretty much an expert on them.

www.audiconnection.com