AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   1997 Audi A8 Quattro Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/1997-audi-a8-quattro-automatic-transmission-fluid-flush-188563/)

Dalakian 10-22-2012 07:47 PM

1997 Audi A8 Quattro Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush

I'm starting this thread to find out the best way of flushing the transmission on Audi A8. I've been doing a lot of reading on the internet, but no method of which I found so far gives me a true flush. I refuse to go to some AAMCO place, because I don't trust them. What makes things even harder is the fact that this car doesn't have a dip-stick.

Here's a method that someone has suggested to me, that I tend to lean towards but am afraid of damaging anything.

Drive the car up 4 ramps, dump the transmission pan + filter, then start the car and let it idle in Park. This way the transmission is going to spit out whatever fluid is located inside the torque converter or elsewhere, leaving close to 0 old fluid in. After that, replace the filter and close up the pan with new gaskets, etc and start the car again only this time start pumping new fluid into the "fill' hole until the fluid starts spilling over, meaning that the transmission is full. Tighten everything up and enjoy the new ride.

Does the above procedure sound safe/good? If not, who can suggest a better way of flushing everything out and replacing with the new fluid?

Also, what fluid is safe to use? The authentic Audi stuff costs $23/liter where I live as opposed to $8/liter for regular synthetic fluid.

Thanks in advance!!

Dalakian 10-24-2012 02:37 PM

Anyone?

Dalakian 10-26-2012 10:09 PM

Okay, so I've decided to give my method a shot + will do a DIY for everyone, maybe we can make it a sticky for others to see.

My only question is: is it okay to use valvoline full synthetic instead of the oem fluid? I would rather not waste the money if I don't have to.

jakematic 10-26-2012 11:53 PM

Well.... this whole thread scares me.

I'd rather you had fluid in there for the flush than nothing, and the procedure is well documented.

Recommend not using anything other than OEM fluid per the VAG spec.

Not 100% sure about the D2 but know there are colors of fluid on D3 that match firmware in the ECU.

Dalakian 10-27-2012 12:32 PM

Right, it sounds bizarre at first, to run your transmission dry, but if you think about it, no gears are moving. The only moving part would be the torque converter + the pump, which will still have enough fluid left in them to stay lubricated, so it should be fine.

After speaking with the dealer, they said that as long as I use a full synthetic fluid, I should be fine. Regardless, a brand new Valvoline fluid is going to be far better than 15 year old authentic stuff, that's by now is running at least a quart low from evaporation, etc.

I will probably give it a shot in the next couple of days, so I will keep you posted with pictures. Should be fun!

ngowichita 11-06-2012 02:58 PM

So, did you do it? Results? Thoughts, Ideas, concerns?