AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Which 1999 A8 do I have? Trying to find some parts (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/1999-a8-do-i-have-trying-find-some-parts-195801/)

jbartus 05-25-2013 05:34 AM

Which 1999 A8 do I have? Trying to find some parts

Hi guys,

New in town, so to speak, as you may have guessed. :)

I've got a 1999 Audi A8 that I acquired recently and I'm trying to sort out which one I have, pre-facelift or post, and which parts diagrams apply to my vehicle. The vagcat.com site offers me two options to pick for my model year and I'm a bit confused about what one I need. I assume that they relate to pre and post facelift versions. Here's what I know from decoding my VIN:

Year: 1999
Engine Type: 4.2L V8 DOHC 32V
Make: Audi
Driveline: all-wheel drive
Model: A8
Ground Clearance: 4.80 in.
Trim Level: 4.2 Quattro
Front Brake Type: Disc
Manufactured In: GERMANY
Rear Brake Type: Disc
Body Style: SEDAN 4-DR
Anti-Brake System: 4-Wheel ABS
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic Overdrive
Standard Seating: 5
MPG Hwy: 25 miles/gallon
MPG City: 17 miles/gallon
Tires: 225/60R16
Wheelbase: 113.00 in.
MSRP: $65,000 USD
Curb Weight: 3902 lbs

I think that's the important stuff, at any rate. If more details are needed I'd be happy to provide them. The site offers these options:
1999 >> 4D-X-004 999 4D.
1999 4D-X-005 001 >> 4D.

Any help would be most appreciated, I'm trying to identify part numbers relating to the front bumper cover, related trim (lower grille etc.) and the headlight washer assembly, as well as the interior armrest and the little piece of trim that goes behind the driver's side rear door. I think I can locate them myself on the diagrams, I just need to know where to look.

Additionally, any hints regarding determining my exact color (the car is a silver color, but I know luxury cars often offer a variety of silvers and near-silvers, the interior is a dark color, black or similar) would be most appreciated. I love my new-old A8 but the PO did a number on the bumper cover (and had it repaired in such a manner as to make me cry!), one of the washer pumps is siezed, and somehow they managed to break off the driver's side half of the armrest.

On a final note, any suggestions on part sourcing would be appreciated. I'm mostly hoping to pick up used parts in the proper color so I can avoid a repaint. The dealer pointed me in the direction of Shokan Used Audi Parts in NY but advised that "they know what the parts are worth" leading me to suspect I'd be facing near-dealer parts. I'm located in Massachusetts.

If any of you happen to be active on the aformentioned site, I apologize for reposting the same content here but I noticed that the board there seems infrequently visited. :S

Regards,
Jon

josh A8 05-27-2013 08:33 AM

post a picture of your front end and I'll tell you if it's a facelift car. I have both a 99 and an 01. Or just e-mail me. reddsqirrel@gmail.com. I stripped a 99 A8 and have quite a few used parts on hand. The color code should be on a white sticker in the trunk, spare tire well. that sticker has a bunch of info. I'm not greedy selling parts...

jbartus 05-31-2013 04:19 PM

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually 90% positive now (I think I figured out the ETKA code) I have a pre-facelift car but it'd be nice to have your confirmation. Photos can be found here. As you can see the bumper is in rough shape.

Based on the assumption that this is a pre-facelift car I have put together the following shopping list:
  • Front Armrest - 4D0 881 751 J 2CS [N3Q/BT] (Anthracite Leather)
  • Cupholder Insert - 4D0 858 195 01C (Satin Black)
  • Lower Grille LH - 4D0 853 683 3FZ (Black)
  • Lower Grille RH - 4DO 853 684 3FZ (Black)
  • Lower Grille CTR - 4D0 854 687 3FZ (Black)
  • License Plate Bracket F - 4D0 807 287 D LY7M L5 (Alum Silver Metallic)
  • Bumper Cover F - 4D0 807 105 B LY7M L5 (Alum Silver Metallic)
  • Bumper Insert F (Super Optional!!) - 4D0 807 509 B
  • Protect Strip for Side Panel LHR - 4D0 853 983 LY7M L5

Also in need of whatever parts are needed to fix my headlamp washer on the RH side, Audi trained mechanic I know says its siezed, haven't been able to clearly determine what part I'd need for that.

Sorry for the delayed response, been busy as heck lately. Spent 14 hours yesterday into today (overnight) replacing the rear bumper cover on a 2011 Chevy Traverse for a friend. NEVER AGAIN. (Literally had to take every body panel off the rear end, as well as the rear wheels and wheel well liners, just to get the old one off!)

Jon

jbartus 05-31-2013 04:26 PM

Also for reference, here is the info I was able to get from the build sticker.

Color Codes
Exterior
LY7M L5 - Alum silver metallic
Interior
N3Q/BT - Anthracite Leather

Option Codes
X9A = National sales program USA
B0A = Component parts set without country-specific design requirement
C09 = Operating permit, alteration
G0Q = 5-speed automatic transmission for four-wheel drive vehicle
H1Y = Front tires 235/35 R19 91Y rear tires 225/35 R19 88Y xl
J0W = Battery 410 A (88 Ah)
M74 = 8-cyl. gasoline engine 4.2 L/220 kW V8 Motronic, OBD 2 (California) base engine is T7W
Q1A = Standard front seats
1BA = Standard suspension/shock absorption
1AH = Electronic differential lock (EDL)
1G5 = Space-saving spare wheel, same size (same rolling circumference) as originalequipment tires
2PR = Leather steering wheel, heated
1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
5RW = Right exterior mirror: convex (US) large viewing field
5SG = Left exterior mirror: flat
T7W = 8-cylinder gasoline engine 4.2 L Unit 077.5 (aluminum)
0JK = Weight category front axle weight range 10
4UB = Air bag for NAR
0YT = Weight range 18 installation control only, no requirement forecast
0G7 = Tiptronic
8UQ = Radio "concert" for USA
8GT = Compact alternator 90 - 150A
8RY = Speakers with BOSE sound
1KD = Disc brakes, rear
1LT = Disc brakes, front
3FE = Electric slide/tilt sunroof with sun screen/sunblind
1BA = Standard suspension/shock absorption

josh A8 06-03-2013 04:13 PM

1999 a8

wow, you definitely have enough info on your car. I have the same car. my wife drives it daily. awesome car, and I think better than the facelift cars. won't go into the details, but they just seem better. more solid, motor is better etc. less horse power but better. I don't think I can help you on the parts you need sorry. those items are just plain hard to find, and hard to find for a good price too. try europe, seriously. especially for the arm rest. the lower grilles you can get on ebay brand new from Latvia for about $50 for both. OEM too. not sure about the lower center grille. what is the bumper insert ? is it the big aluminum curved tube that the cover goes over ? I have 2.

hamrickg 10-08-2013 05:10 PM

Do you still need parts? I have parts from two A8s plus extra left and right front fenders. One A8 is a 2000 but most of the parts are the same. Also have all window motors, computers, console and radio parts. Also has a transmission on the 2000. Engine seized when it ingested water. Don't know if it is rebuildable.