Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A8
 1999 A8 idling at lower RPMs, loss of performance >

1999 A8 idling at lower RPMs, loss of performance

Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

1999 A8 idling at lower RPMs, loss of performance

Old 09-15-2006, 12:37 AM
1st Gear
Default 1999 A8 idling at lower RPMs, loss of performance

I've got a rather strange problem:

Car starts fine at idles at one notch below the 1000rpm on the tacho. Normal.

I put it in Drive, and it gently starts creeping along at 5-7mph, unlike the normal vigorous 10mph speed.

Put it back in Park, it idles TWO notches below the 1000rpm mark.

While driving, when I take my foot off the gas, the car seems eager to downshift to 1st and then eventually slows to a 5-10mph crawl. Definitely not normal.

The only known issue is the ABS light - been coming on and off for the past several months: at least two of the speed sensors are bad, but could they really conspire to create a weird set of problems like that?

Also been getting faint whiff of raw gas inside the cabin a couple times, but I dunno if thats just paranoia or......? Could the fuel pump (or whatever) be losing pressure, which is resulting in a loss in performance and generally lazy behaviour, including idling at unusually low RPMs?

(Truthfully, I'm getting ready to throw in the towel)

Puuhlease help!