Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2000 a-8 camshaft6 adjustment nightmare help me!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Default 2000 a-8 camshaft6 adjustment nightmare help me!!!!!!!!!

hi im am a tech at a euro repair shop im the lead tech so noone else that can help me out i just did a belt pump tensioner and also cam sensor chain tensioners and chains on a 2000 a-8..the car runs good but no power lower rpms also has cam adjustment codes..i have the proper tools but when the car came in the chain guides were gone and timing off slighty when i tried to line all the new parts up the cam marks were not perfect cant get them any better though....but i think it must be slighty off becuase of the problem im having how can i get this problem fixed

Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

Not sure why the timing would be off slightly (less than one tooth?) unless possible a cam belt sprocket was not completely seated in proper position (?)...but from what you said, I assume the cam belt timing was perfect? ...otherwise timing tools (Crank lock and cam lock tools) would not fit.

Also, theoretically, if a chain tensioner retainer was not installed (special tool "3366") or if the retainer was over-tightened during installation, it could damage the adjuster and/or lock it in place, which could kill either high or low rpm power....just going on Bentley manual warning.

Are you getting any chain noise at all? ...a little during start up is typical and usually not a problem, but should be pretty quiet once running for a few seconds.

PS, there are others here who have more "hands on" experience with this particular problem than me...esp if there's a problem with proper readings from cam position sensors.

Last edited by silverd2; 09-08-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: wording & terminology
Old 09-08-2010, 04:14 PM

ya i'm not sure whats going on....but there is no chain noise the car sounds great but the idle is slightly rough, your average joe wouldn't even notice....my vag powers up the new cam adjusters and they click and all that good stuff....the car is all together now but i'm going to take it back down to the marks...the only thing that was hard about lining up the marks was the points on the cams that line up with the notches was weird because one cam would be perfect and one would be off to the side slightly not dead center...i don't get why unless the chain has slightly larger links then it should...its like that on both banks..i have replaced a ton of belts on these cars but this was my first chain replacement...so i may be missing something here....thanks for the reply...
p.s. is there a tool to lock cams in place when sprockets are not on...i only have the cam locking bar.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

Not that I know of, but I've never done chains either...just belt. All I can go on is Bentley procedure and warnings...sorry.
TozoM8 (and maybe others here) has probably done this job and should have an opinion, if he sees this thread...may be busy doing a trans at the moment.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like you could be off a link.

In those cases usually you get a DTC about exceeding the threshold.

Check around too, maybe you have a vac line off or cracked or something. You know how brittle they can get. Maybe it's something stupid like that.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 AM

sounds good....thanks guys.....i'll let u know what i find..