Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2000 A8 ... what to look or look out for

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A8 ... what to look or look out for

I am new to this forum and am looking at a 2000 A8L Quattro with 70,000 miles. Can anybody help me with some tips on what to look for or look out for. How is the reliability for this model and year?

Old 09-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Site Moderator

Read the sticky at the top of the page. Near 70k miles its gonna need a timing belt/water pump, thermostat, belts, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Make sure the transmission shifts smoothly, and more importantly reverse.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

ditto... i've got a '00 d2 w/ ~62k miles.... tb/sb/wp and filters by 75k max is usually what I hear as well... for me, i'm shooting to get it all done before i hit 70k... btw... Auditech79, do you do tb/sb/wp labor on the side? if so, how much would you charge me for your time? i have the bentley manual so i guess it wouldn't be impossible for me to do it myself, but i'm not a tech, so i figured i'd ask you. get back to me whenever time permits. thanks.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

Auditeck and Crazyeights, thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I also found a buyers check list on [url]http://www.audipages.com/usedA8/usedA8items.html

Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

timing belt/water pump, thermostat, belts, fuel filter, air filter, etc.

What would be a likely cost for the above service? Is it best to go back to Audi to have this done or is possible to find a competent European garage that might specialize in German cars?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Site Moderator

About $2,000 at the dealer depending on the labor rate there.
$1,500 is an average price at a euro shop.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Thank You.

I test drove the A8 this morning from a cold start. The transmission could not have shifted more smoothly or quietly in reverse or any forward gears ... hot or cold.

It has definitely been garage kept, had the normal service work done at Audi. It is ready for the first major service and was priced accordingly.

I am now the new proud owner of my first Audi. A 2000 A8 L. It looks to me like it has all options except for the warm weather package.

I love it.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Site Moderator

Congradulations, be sure to come back to our board for any questions that you may have. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

I will definitely be a regular here at this forum. Am sure I will have plenty of questions and in time will hopefully be able to answer some.

This car that I bought does not have the owners manual or any Cd's for the Nav system. I did see a set of Cd's on ebay but am not sure which set will work for me.

It looks like the only thing on the car that does not work is the electric head rests. Some weekend soon I will be looking into that issue.

This weekend I plan a good wash and wax to get ready for winter. I will also be looking for a good independent shop that works on German cars to do the major maintenance ... timing belt, water pump, thermostat, etc.

If anyone can recommend on in the St. Peters or St. Louis, MO area please speak up. Otherwise I will take it back to Audi for the service.

I really love this car. Have had several Cadillac cars in the past but so far like this one better.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

One more issue that I almost forgot. The dealer i bought the car from only had one key. Is it best to go to Audi for a replacement or can I get the ross-tech software and set uo my own key. Also does the key have to be new or can a key from another car have the code set. is there somewhere I can buy a key other than from Audi. I bet that they are not cheap at all. Anyone know the going price?

Quick Reply: 2000 A8 ... what to look or look out for