AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   2000 audi a8 wet floors, no clogging (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/2000-audi-a8-wet-floors-no-clogging-153363/)

pota92 07-15-2010 10:12 AM

2000 audi a8 wet floors, no clogging

just picked up my a8, test drive went fine, but last night i noticed that the floors in the back are soaked, but not with water, feels like oil, but doesn't smell like it, def not gas

really bad at the doors, then dries a little, then soaked again at the center console, same on both sides

please help, and if you can, let me know the damage the repairs are going to do to my wallet

silverd2 07-15-2010 10:37 PM

Notice your title says "No clogging" (?), but.....

Before I really cleaned out my fresh air plenum drain (under hood) AND both my AC drains in passenger compartment (absolutely essential), I would get lots of water in the center vent canal (going to rear center vents) ...especially after a good rain or car wash. At high fan speed, it would actually blow water into the rear floor and middle of back seat. Never detected any coming out of the rear floor vents (under front seats, pointing to rear seat floors), but I'm sure it's possible.
This actually happened before I ever found any water coming out of the front floor vents, which is usually the first symptom of clogged drains...which did happen eventually, before I realized that cleaning the plenum drain was only part of the problem. Then I cleaned AC evap drains inside...all dry...problem solved.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...tordrains.html

So, if all 3 drains are indeed clear, I don't have a theory...especially if it doesn't seem to be water. Maybe feels like oil after mixing with something in the carpet (?).

Rain a lot where you are, drive through high water or use the AC a lot?

Be curious to hear what it is, if you find out more.

aspen79 07-15-2010 10:53 PM

I agree, check the drain tubes at the front end of the console. Very common for these to plug with dirt and the water can, and will, find it's way to the rear floor area. Just be careful pulling the off, sometimes there's an amazing amount of water that will come out (keep a container handy)!

pota92 07-16-2010 09:11 AM

another theory my friend brought up, is it might be the output flange seal is cracked, and the gear lube is leaking into the floor boards

silverd2 07-16-2010 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by aspen79 (Post 1222701)
I agree, check the drain tubes at the front end of the console. Very common for these to plug with dirt and the water can, and will, find it's way to the rear floor area. Just be careful pulling the off, sometimes there's an amazing amount of water that will come out (keep a container handy)!

You got that right!
Even after sitting a couple of days, I filled half of one of those huge fast food XX-large drink cups (quickly!) when I pulled the first of the two drain hoses off (passenger side).

silverd2 07-16-2010 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by pota92 (Post 1222785)
another theory my friend brought up, is it might be the output flange seal is cracked, and the gear lube is leaking into the floor boards

Don't know about that...the flange is surrounded by heat shields. Plus, that gear oil is thick (75w90) and smells heavily of skunk...and there's only a total of 880ml (less than a quart) total in that center differential.

auditech79 07-20-2010 06:11 PM

Agreed with the above posts, its has to be water either getting in from the sunroof drains or the pleanum behind the dash board. If it were oil or coolant (like the heater cores) you would know it from the odor immediately.

pota92 07-23-2010 09:13 AM

wouldn't the floors in the FRONT get wet as well, if the drains in the FRONT of the car are getting clogged?

silverd2 07-23-2010 10:49 AM

Sorry, see next post...tried to delete this one :confused:

silverd2 07-23-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by pota92 (Post 1224689)
wouldn't the floors in the FRONT get wet as well, if the drains in the FRONT of the car are getting clogged?

Usually yes...but not impossible. It depends on how vents are set, where they have the best seal, angle of the car, etc.

In ANY case, short of having something pulled loose on the bottom of the car and scooping up water while driving through creeks, there's not a lot of other ways for water to enter the cabin...unless you've had badly damaged doors, windows, etc..

The sunroof drains usually overflow into the front (or middle) of the headliner or pour out the sunroof control panel, after sitting in the rain and especially if you hit the brakes hard shortly after this...sometimes even if they're not clogged (personal experience). If they are clogged, you should be getting the above leaks on a regular basis.

If the AC drains have never been cleaned, then there's a 99% chance they are totally or at least partially clogged...unless the car has NEVER been outdoors. This is where I would put all my $$ if it was a horse race...except even better odds.
When I cleaned mine, I actually found the left side folded shut from an incorrect factory install (or previous "mechanic" repair) , so mine had always depended on the right (passenger) side drain only, which was totally clogged and really backed up with many ounces of water. I actually cleared the clog, by first just blowing on a piece of rubber tubing (fuel line) that fit snugly in the drain tube...then did a more thorough job with compressed air and poured water through em with a funnel to test.

You will never know and may never have dry floors if you don't check em. The AudiPages link is well written. An amateur mechanic or decent tinkerer can get to these and clear em. Believe me, it will be obvious if this is the problem as soon as you pull one side off...esp if the AC has been used recently.

P.S. I'm assuming, in the above, that the fresh air plenum drain under the hood has been completely cleared already. They always clog eventually, if the car has ever been outdoors...easy to check, bucket of water and a funnel, then look under the car. This drain is covered in the same AudiPages link.

P.S.S. A REMINDER: I had MAJOR water leakage just from the interior AC drains, with NO rain and a completely clean fresh air plenum drain, anyway.